Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

MyGig

Old 06-05-2009, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay, i was just about to purchase a used mygig...

how do i know if it is a "low speed" or "high speed" unit?

how do i know if it has NAV? If it has NAV, do i need to get an antenna with the unit or is everything internal?

Thanks in advance. not really into the electical stuff too much, so this is all new to me!!
Old 06-05-2009, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks to all for the info.
Hey thanks for the site Eagle Mikeo!!!
Old 06-07-2009, 06:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nav units have the RER designator.
Non-Nav units have the REN designator .

You can run the Bluetooth system without the IPod adapter on radios from an 08. I know as mine is working just fine and the only part I added was the MOPAR mic.

Make sure you get the MOPAR mic. Yes, it's more expensive. But it's worth it. All reports on the mics from Costal Tech (LockPick creators) and NavTV (AllGIG Creators) indicate the mics are very finicky and have poor reception.

The antenna's for Sirius and GPS are seperate.

As you can see in the photo they use separate inputs. To my understanding both antennas are located above the drivers head in the roll cage, above the seat belt. I've never disassembled the roll cage so I'll leave that to some one else to confirm.

A few notes. I've heard of many locations to mount the mic for the Bluetooth setup. The best seems to be right on the face of the radio's trim plate itself. This is especially easy if you have a Daystar upper dash panel as there is a nice gap between it and the dash to run the cable through. Others have tried mounting it on the A Pillar and the top of the windshield surround piece above the rearview mirror. People report I sound like I'm on a speaker phone, like at my home office, but am completely intelligible. Now, with the roof down, it's absolutely useless at any speed above 30 mph. The winds just to bad.

Also, if you're going through the trouble of getting the MyGIG I would also look into either the LockPick or the AllGIG. Both basically do the same thing in diffrent ways. They allow DVD and GPS entry while in motion, as well as back up cameras if you require one. I know the AllGIG can enable the Bluetooth via it's software interface as well. So if you're concerned about going into the service menu of the radio that's one way to avoid it.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Skippman
As you can see in the photo they use separate inputs. To my understanding both antennas are located above the drivers head in the roll cage, above the seat belt. I've never disassembled the roll cage so I'll leave that to some one else to confirm.
Actually the Nav antenna is under the top dash cover with the radio, only the Sat antenna is on the rollbar. Makes it nice ofr adding the MyGig as the antenna sits under the dash and runs with a short wire through a provided hold down to the radio.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 08RubiUnlimited
Actually the Nav antenna is under the top dash cover with the radio, only the Sat antenna is on the rollbar. Makes it nice ofr adding the MyGig as the antenna sits under the dash and runs with a short wire through a provided hold down to the radio.
You're absolutely right. I completely forgot about that from putting in my Daystar upper panel. It's up there with the compass. It bolts to the support brace, while the compass bolts to the upper dash piece.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

Default I-POD Interface cables for a RER my GiG.

Any one out there has a I-pod interface cable installed to there '07 RER My GiG Nav system? Just wanted to know if it works or even does what it claims. I've tried to talk to several dealerships and no one can provide what it take to install or even how it works. Please let me know before I purchase it. Thanks!
Old 06-08-2009, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Christian: The iPod control adapter will not work on anything other than an '09 MyGig. You can find the part numbers listed on h**p://www.wkjeeps.com/Mygig_parts.htm

The internal wiring is just plain NOT there inside the head unit. The RER was updated in '09 production. Don't buy the cable if you have anything but an '09 production RER (and that pretty much means made in '09 stamped on the metal case).

As far as the '09s the cable controls all the iPod functions such as playlists, song, composer etc. Videos do not play of course via this cable (mopar pn.82211853) but if you have the lockpick you can get them via component video in and the VES function.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:40 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dubya
Will any Sirius/XM antenna work?
Absolutely!

Just keep in mind one thing... if they have that plastic shroud around it, GENTLY break it off.

I'm using an XM antenna from an old XM radio I had, and plugged int right in to the Sirius jack (had to break off the plastic piece on the radio) and it works perfectly.

The XM antenna and the Sirius antenna are the same... (more or less).
Old 06-09-2009, 04:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Fathom
82211853) but if you have the lockpick you can get them via component video in and the VES function.
Correction, that's COMPOSITE, not COMPONENT. Just FYI
Old 06-09-2009, 10:51 AM
JK Super Freak

It's preloaded onto the drive Dubya.

Quick Reply: MyGig