Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

My Wiring Plan (Switches, Relays, Ect) - What do you think?

Old 03-07-2012, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok so heres a question, I'm not entirely sure how to guage the ground. When I figure the length of wire vs the amps its carrying I need count in the length to ground too. so:

If i ground near the device, do I have to take into account the distance back to the fuse when gauging wire size, or just the extra foot of wire needed to find ground? (in my latest diagram the rigid backuplight would apply to this question.

hope that question makes sense, thanks.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Myrt
Ok so heres a question, I'm not entirely sure how to guage the ground. When I figure the length of wire vs the amps its carrying I need count in the length to ground too. so:

If i ground near the device, do I have to take into account the distance back to the fuse when gauging wire size, or just the extra foot of wire needed to find ground? (in my latest diagram the rigid backuplight would apply to this question.

hope that question makes sense, thanks.
Here is where using the wire chart could get confusing. And why I think that my way is better.

Technical Answer - that complies with the theory based on this thread:
1) Calculate the load applied to each conductor ( do this the same way that you did the power wires )
2) Decide how long this conductor will be when installed.
3) Referance the chart for wire size.

Short Answer - that still complies with the theory based on this thread:
1) Make the ground conductor the same size ( or larger ) and length as the power wire.

Quick Reply: My Wiring Plan (Switches, Relays, Ect) - What do you think?