Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

My Wiring Plan (Switches, Relays, Ect) - What do you think?

Old 03-06-2012, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where and what are you buying as far as relays, and fuse blocks?
Old 03-06-2012, 05:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bull
Just a quick question because I'm also going with Rigid lights,
Why would you need a relay for the dually's when they are drawing very little and your switch is rated for 25 amps?
even though the switch is rated for the amperage, you really want to avoid bringing any significant amperage into the dash, or out of the engine bay at least. i would use a relay no matter what. also makes it easier and safer in the long run to add anything else you want onto that particular circuit.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flienlow
Where and what are you buying as far as relays, and fuse blocks?
Here's a link to the fuse block im looking at. I like it because it can handle a lot of amps and uses the same mini fuses the jeep uses. No idea what relays are better.

XXXhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0077D9C1Q?m=A3CCWSU1MNB43R
Old 03-06-2012, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chknkatsu
even though the switch is rated for the amperage, you really want to avoid bringing any significant amperage into the dash, or out of the engine bay at least. i would use a relay no matter what. also makes it easier and safer in the long run to add anything else you want onto that particular circuit.
So my plan is to step up my wire one level from whats required but still fuse it for the amperage draw of the device. I dont think 5amps qualifies as significant. But im also new to this, and was under the impression if u fuse near the power source with the correct size fuse youre safe.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Is that 14 guage 10' wire to your kc lights for both lights or one wire for each light? I'd be tempted to go 12 guage if one wire is feeding both.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

you could consider running ground through the switches instead of power, to be safer. ACC goes to 86's and then ground goes thru the switches to 85's. when the switch closes you still energize the relay coil.

but might depend on the LED wiring on the switches you choose. i.e. if its wired separately
Old 03-07-2012, 03:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Myrt
This guage chart seems really heavy. I've been using this one:

XXXhttp://www.offroaders.com/tech/12-volt-wire-gauge-amps.htm

If that chart is right, the harness that came with my kc lights is way to skimpy. I'm pretty sure its a 18 ga, which if i was doing it myself would never have used, but figure they arent going to produce a dangerous product.
China produce a dangerous product.....nah they would never do that!
Old 03-07-2012, 04:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by troyboy
Is that 14 guage 10' wire to your kc lights for both lights or one wire for each light? I'd be tempted to go 12 guage if one wire is feeding both.
I should probably update that on my diagram, I'm using the stock kc harness, their are two power wires coming off the relay (one to each light), they seem to skimpy for me, but figure they wouldn't put out a product that was unsafe.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by diggler86
you could consider running ground through the switches instead of power, to be safer. ACC goes to 86's and then ground goes thru the switches to 85's. when the switch closes you still energize the relay coil.

but might depend on the LED wiring on the switches you choose. i.e. if its wired separately
Hmm, so i guess the benefit is when the switch is off theirs no power going to the wire. The only place i think that would mess me up is in the case of the backup light where im sending power directly from the switch.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Myrt
Hmm, so i guess the benefit is when the switch is off theirs no power going to the wire. The only place i think that would mess me up is in the case of the backup light where im sending power directly from the switch.
Actually. Neither one of thes methods is any better than the other. You still have to supply the relay with 12V+ power. That wire still has the potential to have a fault. The fuse will protect the circuit no matter what the polarity of the circuit. If your more comfortable installing the circuit with negative polarity, then go ahead and do so. Bottom line - use a fuse.

Hmm, so i guess the benefit is when the switch is off theirs no power going to the wire.
Not correct. The 12v+ will pass completely through the relay coil and travel all the way to the switch. If you connect a meter to the switch. You will see the voltage.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 03-07-2012 at 06:33 AM.

Quick Reply: My Wiring Plan (Switches, Relays, Ect) - What do you think?