Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

My Wiring Plan (Switches, Relays, Ect) - What do you think?

Old 03-05-2012, 04:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OH9JK
Looks well thought out! Just double check your wire lengths vs amp load. Here is a handy chart.

This guage chart seems really heavy. I've been using this one:

XXXhttp://www.offroaders.com/tech/12-volt-wire-gauge-amps.htm

If that chart is right, the harness that came with my kc lights is way to skimpy. I'm pretty sure its a 18 ga, which if i was doing it myself would never have used, but figure they arent going to produce a dangerous product.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by homeguy
I've made something similar... 6 relays and fuses in a water resistant box... I run LED's for all my lights and have them all on relays.
can you post or send pics........i am about to start my wiring and was looking for a neat way to store the relays...not finding much....any suggestions will help.....I will need about 4 relays for now, but would like room for expansion.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Bull
Just a quick question because I'm also going with Rigid lights,
Why would you need a relay for the dually's when they are drawing very little and your switch is rated for 25 amps?
To keep the wire from the battery to the lights shorter and inside the engine compartment.

Edit: oops, you mean the backup lights that only draw 1.25 amps. You don't need a relay for that.

Last edited by troyboy; 03-05-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm changing this plan thanks to some of the comments, backup light and backup camera/monitor are going to be switch driven with no relay. I should be well under my total amp draw allowed.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Myrt
This guage chart seems really heavy. I've been using this one:

XXXhttp://www.offroaders.com/tech/12-volt-wire-gauge-amps.htm

If that chart is right, the harness that came with my kc lights is way to skimpy. I'm pretty sure its a 18 ga, which if i was doing it myself would never have used, but figure they arent going to produce a dangerous product.
Wow. So there is more than one of these "BS" charts floating around out there. I'm sure that there is a scientific formula to back this theory. But this proves that these charts aren't trust worthy.There is one thing that I like about your chart though. If you fallow the 20' column, It falls in perfect alignment with the NEC. And , realistically, how many circuits have you installed ( in your Jeep ) that are longer than 20'?
Old 03-06-2012, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

RE: the OP's original diagram: may be a stupid question, but what is the guage [sic] shown at the very right side, coming from the fuse box, for? Nice work, thx for sharing.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by homeguy
Here is a pic of the 1st one I did with 4 relays.

Attachment 285758
Like it
Old 03-06-2012, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlkJck
RE: the OP's original diagram: may be a stupid question, but what is the guage [sic] shown at the very right side, coming from the fuse box, for? Nice work, thx for sharing.
Plans on getting an aeroforce guage in the future, needs a little power to run it.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, here's my re-worked diagram, this layout makes it a lot easier for me to visualize the load on each wire. I have to confirm every wire length and amp amount I have on here still, but I think its goanna be overkill which is better than problems.

Last edited by Myrt; 03-06-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Myrt
Ok, here's my re-worked diagram, this layout makes it a lot easier for me to visualize the load on each wire. I have to confirm every wire length and amp amount I have on here still, but I think its goanna be overkill which is better than problems.

bookmarked for future use!!!

Quick Reply: My Wiring Plan (Switches, Relays, Ect) - What do you think?