Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

My stereo upgrade...

Old 05-20-2013, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattk11
Good deal, I was just scared away by what I read. I ended up with the Pioneer AVH-8500. I bought all the $100s of extra cables to give me app radio, iPhone 5 connectivity and to be honest didn't really care for it. I will never watch videos and the app radio functions didn't do much for me. I didn't want or need Navigation but did want a touch screen. I ended up pulling it all out and just going with the standard USB connection that still gives me full control of phone functions plus pandora, but it freed up another USB that runs to my center console. I thought about downgrading but I wanted to keep the detachable face because I have had my top off since spring began. Interestingly, the Bluetooth technology is OEMd from Parrot.
I had looked into the app radio too. I was happy that manufacturers were starting to leverage the phones more, but the implementation seemed really crappy. Having it essentially just mirror your phone almost seemed like "why bother" even having a radio to begin with. The parrot is great because it is its own device and even shows up in the app store as its own device. I can send apps to it from my computer so that they download automatically as soon as it connects with the phone. Its really smooth too and not jerky at all with the operation.

Quick Reply: My stereo upgrade...