Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

My JK quit reading Texts when I got iphone!

Old 11-11-2013, 06:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
is it an iphone thing or a JK thing? when I had my droid, the Jeep would read my text messages to me over the Bluetooth system,and allow me to VOICE respond them back., without ever looking at or touching my phone.. that phone died,

I got an Iphone 5S and now I dont get that anymore..

is that something that iOS locks down or is it a setting in my iphone / uconnect to restore SMS functionality over U-connect?
-Christopher
I never had a problem with my iPhones in my COD. Not one.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SBEII
Anybody have a galaxy s4? I saw an awesome demo today and was wondering if anyone can comment on how it connects to the jeeps head unit?
my s2x did no problem
Old 11-12-2013, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll throw this in the mix for you:
1) In order for a phone to perform SMS messages thru BT, it needs to support MAP (message access profile)
2) Apple does not support MAP completely, They say they support it but they support it the way they want to. They don't support MAP for outgoing messages and for incoming messages they don't support an "out folder" which is how most phones support incoming messages as well as Uconnect and several other car kits.
3) Samsung has several phones that supports MAP and work well with Uconnect. Most newer Motorola Droids also work well with incoming messages but fail when trying to send a message.
4) Siri, visual voice mail and voice memos are not supported by Uconnect due to the way an incoming call is handled by Apple while you're in one of these features.
5) The BT specs are not tightly regulated and some features can have the SW written slightly different than others. This will cause incompatibility issues. So until the specs get tighter and say that if you want to support this particular feature, then you have support it this way and not offer a multiple choice on how it can be done.
6) All BT devices have their own issues, they're not all designed by the same people.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macman1138
I never had a problem with my iPhones in my COD. Not one.
Call the news because you have the ONLY one I've ever heard of.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SBEII
Call the news because you have the ONLY one I've ever heard of.
baaaahahahaha!!!!
Old 11-13-2013, 04:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by xsdbs
I'll throw this in the mix for you:
1) In order for a phone to perform SMS messages thru BT, it needs to support MAP (message access profile)
2) Apple does not support MAP completely, They say they support it but they support it the way they want to. They don't support MAP for outgoing messages and for incoming messages they don't support an "out folder" which is how most phones support incoming messages as well as Uconnect and several other car kits.
3) Samsung has several phones that supports MAP and work well with Uconnect. Most newer Motorola Droids also work well with incoming messages but fail when trying to send a message.
4) Siri, visual voice mail and voice memos are not supported by Uconnect due to the way an incoming call is handled by Apple while you're in one of these features.
5) The BT specs are not tightly regulated and some features can have the SW written slightly different than others. This will cause incompatibility issues. So until the specs get tighter and say that if you want to support this particular feature, then you have support it this way and not offer a multiple choice on how it can be done.
6) All BT devices have their own issues, they're not all designed by the same people.
this is kind of what I figured.. the BT standard is about as bad as the 'SIP' standard for telecommunications that im heavily involved in.. the standards change so often that manufacturers just pick and choose which flavor they wish to build on and support.. namely the ones that they can get the most 'free' code and least amount of programmer hours.. to get it to a point where they say their device 'supports this feature'...

im in the same boat as #3 above my droid razr MAXX supported it perfectly in the Jeep. yet the Droid in my Chevy VoLT was a total loss..
the iPhone in the VoLT works darn near perfectly on BT for many things.. but in the Jeep half the time the AVRCP doesnt even work for song info...

so yeah you are right the specs are LOOSE to say the LEAST.
-Christopher
Old 11-13-2013, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

In BT streaming mode, Uconnect will only display what is sent to it. So if the data isn't being shown then it's not being sent. One thing that I've noticed is that there have been times when I get in and start streaming audio, the data isn't shown for the first track but does start upon the beginning of the 2nd track. I think it's because Apple doesn't just start sending the data like most phones do but it waits until it's asked for the data. Come on APPLE, give it up freely don't make me beg for it. (hehe)

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
this is kind of what I figured.. the BT standard is about as bad as the 'SIP' standard for telecommunications that im heavily involved in.. the standards change so often that manufacturers just pick and choose which flavor they wish to build on and support.. namely the ones that they can get the most 'free' code and least amount of programmer hours.. to get it to a point where they say their device 'supports this feature'...

im in the same boat as #3 above my droid razr MAXX supported it perfectly in the Jeep. yet the Droid in my Chevy VoLT was a total loss..
the iPhone in the VoLT works darn near perfectly on BT for many things.. but in the Jeep half the time the AVRCP doesnt even work for song info...

so yeah you are right the specs are LOOSE to say the LEAST.
-Christopher
Old 12-01-2013, 10:33 PM
JK Junkie

I was on the jeep web page earlier today. I looked up my mygig unit, 730N, and it isn't indicated to read incoming or generate outgoing texts. I think if you had that, you got lucky.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

The 730 & 730N did not support SMS texting last year, but supposedly there was an update that came out that let it support the needed MAP (Message Access Profile) that let it support the texting feature. Seeing how I don't have that radio, I'm not sure if it really made it out and actually works.
SMS texting is supported by the following radios:
RES, REQ, RBZ & RHB as of 2012.

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
I was on the jeep web page earlier today. I looked up my mygig unit, 730N, and it isn't indicated to read incoming or generate outgoing texts. I think if you had that, you got lucky.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:19 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by xsdbs
The 730 & 730N did not support SMS texting last year, but supposedly there was an update that came out that let it support the needed MAP (Message Access Profile) that let it support the texting feature. Seeing how I don't have that radio, I'm not sure if it really made it out and actually works. SMS texting is supported by the following radios: RES, REQ, RBZ & RHB as of 2012.
nope. Doesn't work and honestly, I never seem to receive any updates for mygig. :(

Quick Reply: My JK quit reading Texts when I got iphone!