Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

My JK quit reading Texts when I got iphone!

Old 11-08-2013, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bluetooth is a luxury. Cellphones are a luxury. Just like hot water and central a/c are luxuries.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
Lets see.. ive owned 4 JK's... had I not been able to have Bluetooth(or other tech stuff) in them I wouldve owned '0' JK's....

in the big scheme of things I guess 4 less JK's for chrysler is minuscule.. until lots of people skip JK for something else.. then JK is no more for anyone..
Bluetooth is an option.. dont want it? dont get it... but for those of us that get it and want it, we want it to work..
-Christopher
Well said, Chris.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2013, 06:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by williard86
Bluetooth is a luxury. Cellphones are a luxury. Just like hot water and central a/c are luxuries.
I disagree, my fellow jeeper! (unless you are just being sarcastic) When's the last time you've seen a pay phone? If you didn't have a cell phone and needed to call someone, or call 911, what would you do? Borrow someone's cell phone, I would imagine.

I no longer have a land line phone in my house. No need for it. With the world as it is today, I wouldn't let my kids run around on their own without a phone. I wouldn't let them drive anywhere without a phone. Too many creeps and dangers out there now. If it was legal, my kids would carry guns! ;-)

Bluetooth is a necessity as it keeps your hands on the wheel and off of your phone. I have used my bluetooth/cellphone to call 911.

If cellphones, hot water, a/c (and heat, I would presume) are a luxury, then I would suggest you give all of that up (including you internet and computer) for, let's say, a month, and see if you change your tune. :-)
Old 11-08-2013, 07:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure how this thread got to talking about luxury items but I'll join in.

Luxuries goods are things that are not essential to life...but of course we like to have them.

BT, Cell phones, running water, hot water, AC,......and the list goes on and on and on. These things are not ESSENTIAL (Absolutely necessary) to live. We truly can live without them, but it would not be fun. I am not disagreeing that these things are great to have and I would never want to live without most of them. But they are luxuries. I enjoy my luxury items.

In getting back to strictly BT, I have seen studies done showing BT is even more distracting than just using the normal handset for talking on the phone. A lot of people, when using BT fumble around and can't seem to get it working. I have had this experience with BT devices being just as distracting, sometimes to the point of being annoying. When using BT, I normally have to look at the phone anyway to figure out if they thing is even working or not and then fix it if it isn't. I know my phone well enough to be able to pick it up without having to fumble around or even look at it.

I can understand the speech to text idea being less distracting because you aren't picking up the phone and actually typing on it, but even less distracting is just leaving it go until later.

If you like BT in your Jeep, more power to ya. I don't see anything wrong with using it. It is a luxury that we are lucky enough to have. Can be dangerous if it isn't working and you have to mess with it anyway(why not just pick up the phone and text) but we do a lot of other dangerous things while driving too.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

My comment was definitely tongue in cheek, but the point I was making about BT is that it's a luxury to use your cellphone in your car.
Most agree that it's the distraction from talking more than having your hands free that causes accidents. I know people without cellphones and I've most certainly gone without for an extended period of time. Just because we've grown very much accustomed to our luxuries, it doesn't make them necessities.

But I totally agree, if you want BT and paid for BT, it should damn well work.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjsmith4
Not sure how this thread got to talking about luxury items but I'll join in.

Luxuries goods are things that are not essential to life...but of course we like to have them.

BT, Cell phones, running water, hot water, AC,......and the list goes on and on and on. These things are not ESSENTIAL (Absolutely necessary) to live. We truly can live without them, but it would not be fun. I am not disagreeing that these things are great to have and I would never want to live without most of them. But they are luxuries. I enjoy my luxury items.

In getting back to strictly BT, I have seen studies done showing BT is even more distracting than just using the normal handset for talking on the phone. A lot of people, when using BT fumble around and can't seem to get it working. I have had this experience with BT devices being just as distracting, sometimes to the point of being annoying. When using BT, I normally have to look at the phone anyway to figure out if they thing is even working or not and then fix it if it isn't. I know my phone well enough to be able to pick it up without having to fumble around or even look at it.

I can understand the speech to text idea being less distracting because you aren't picking up the phone and actually typing on it, but even less distracting is just leaving it go until later.

If you like BT in your Jeep, more power to ya. I don't see anything wrong with using it. It is a luxury that we are lucky enough to have. Can be dangerous if it isn't working and you have to mess with it anyway(why not just pick up the phone and text) but we do a lot of other dangerous things while driving too.
actually I was testing the feature with a friend of mine while in the driveway... when it didnt work, I posted here.. if someone texts me and it doesnt work I get the text when I park the Jeep... when I make a call in the Jeep I use the handsfree.. driving a Stick and working with a Cell phone is not an option.. sure like anyone else I have tried the whole Lets text N drive, knee the steering wheel while dialing a number etc.. its just not worth wrecking my Jeep and / or life, and / or someone elses life over it....

of course these things are luxury items, But I paid for such luxury items so I want them to work...

its all personal preference.. I know a guy that owns a Lawn Service company.. he buys all of his employees Chevy vans with every option known to man every 3 years.. he buys himself his own van with only one option.. A/C DELETE... (it comes standard on all chevy vans)... he hates any and every Luxury option on a vehicle but knows his guys like that stuff...

-Christopher
Old 11-09-2013, 04:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fair enough. When you pay for something, it should work. If it has something to do with iOS 7. I am sure Chrysler will hear about it from enough people and they will come up with a fix.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjsmith4
Fair enough. When you pay for something, it should work. If it has something to do with iOS 7. I am sure Chrysler will hear about it from enough people and they will come up with a fix.
It's just iOS. Mine nor my wife's has never functioned completely in either of our jeeps.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:23 AM
JK Freak

I don't really buy into the Bluetooth as a safety option. Sure it's safer than holding a handset while driving and talking, but it's still a distraction. It actually encourages you to use the phone instead of pulling over and using the phone. Is everything so important that you have to be on the phone all the time????
Old 11-09-2013, 05:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SBEII
It's just iOS. Mine nor my wife's has never functioned completely in either of our jeeps.
My Android phone doesn't work either. It's not JUST iOS, but I find my iPhone works with fewer Bluetooth devices than the droid.

Quick Reply: My JK quit reading Texts when I got iphone!