Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

my jk doesnt have nav, what are some after market replacements?

Old 01-05-2014, 03:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by willysjeep1947
MyGig is starting to crap out, I am looking to replace it. What are some good replacements? I also have the infinity sound system with the amp, I'd like to possibly replace that also, but Be able to mount it in the same spot. I have replaced all the speakers with Hertz and want to maximize them. What have you all found to work the best.
Hertz are pretty decent speakers. Just about any decent amp that fits would be fine. My choice, if I had to put it in the stock location of the factory amp, would be the Focal Minis. Some suggest the little Rockford amps. They are small. But they have too much distortion and tend to be hard on speakers voice coils.

As far as radios with nav? I prefer Kenwood for many reasons. Some you might agree with. Some you might not like. I suggest you go to a local shop and try some on for size. See what features are worth money to you and which ones aren't. I'd suggest these brands for consideration... Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine, Sony, And Clarion. In order of features, functions, and benefits. Try to stay away from most everything else.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Collyn
No. The closest I've messed with is the 790. Why?
that's the system I'm currently looking into
Old 01-05-2014, 05:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by White Ghost
that's the system I'm currently looking into
The 570 should be fine for you man. It should have everything you are looking to use. And it's a good price. I think the next model up is just the 7" screen. No real other features.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks Collyn, appreciate the advice
Old 01-06-2014, 02:03 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Collyn
99.9% of the drivers ...
Sorry. I think it's important to consider off-road navigation on a Jeep forum. I've already had two folks who've read this thread PM me for more info on the Nexus 7. That's why I bring it up: People read the thread title and are looking for answers to that. I provided one. I wanted to make clear that this is a different (and cheaper and more capable, IMHO) answer than a built-in system. Your post muddied that distinction with marketing gee-whiz words ("bluetooth" "tablet") without being clear on what those gee-whiz words actually provided.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 01-06-2014 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:54 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Sorry. I think it's important to consider off-road navigation on a Jeep forum. I've already had two folks who've read this thread PM me for more info on the Nexus 7. That's why I bring it up: People read the thread title and are looking for answers to that. I provided one. I wanted to make clear that this is a different (and cheaper and more capable, IMHO) answer than a built-in system. Your post muddied that distinction with marketing gee-whiz words ("bluetooth" "tablet") without being clear on what those gee-whiz words actually provided.
Not trying to be a smart ass. But, marketing words like "tablet" and "Bluetooth" are not exactly gee-whiz. I live in the country in Texas. Call me a red neck. None-the-less, I have at least a dozen Bluetooth devises in my home. From thermostats to refrigerators to phones and Blue ray players. Haha. And tablets. A few of those too. Even have one mounted in. My fridge door. These are pretty much commonplace now days. I do see your point about wanting a specific nav for off-roading. I have used "Easy-Trails" app on my phone once. It was kinda gee-whizish though. But the title of the thread was relating to replacing a factory nav. I guess both of us have opinions as to what would work better. Even with your tablet on the dash, the OP would still have a factory nav that still needs repair or replacing.
Just a thought
Old 01-06-2014, 06:45 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

No, he clearly wrote the only thing ***missing*** is factory nav. Had he wrote his was broken and needed replacement, I would not have posted a response.

Writing "Bluetooth" and "tablet" without explanation is a technique used to trick the uninformed into a purchase. When used without explanation, it becomes that "gee whiz" factor designed by advertisers to mislead. Since your post isn't an advertisement, I should think those two words would be accompanied by some explanation that you have yet to offer. What do these two features provide?
Old 01-06-2014, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Hey Mark,

Your tablet(carputer) setup is really nice. I'm planning to install something similar into my JK. I have few questions hopefully you could advise me.

1) Have you every try hooking a rear camera to your tablet?I seen video online that you could add an USB video capture adapter and could you use it as a rear camera monitor.

2)Will the bracket or tablet block the airbag when it deploys?

3)Which tablet mount and holder are you using?

Thank you.

Ray
Old 01-06-2014, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are write ups and videos via google on cameras paired with the Nexus 7 seems pretty simple. I'm sure Mark will chime in but I don't see the Tablet or mount blocking airbag deployment at all. It's mounted inside where my CB cooltech mount is and its not even close to blocking AB.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:49 AM
JK Freak

After a little more research at work yesterday...

Yes, the Kenwood DNX990 and the DNN790 head units with WiFi can download apps via the android market. So they can do what the cheap tablets can do. They can even display and input responses to JKForum via hands free voice control. So, with the exception of loading cd/DVD rom software, it is essentially a PC. or. I guess. A tablet. You may add all the apps you like to it.

Quick Reply: my jk doesnt have nav, what are some after market replacements?