Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Mounting jl audio 8" w7 under rear seat?

Old 11-08-2016, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting jl audio 8" w7 under rear seat?

I recently picked up 2 jl audio 8" subwoofers and was hoping someone had made a custom box or bought one that fit under their rear seats on their jk 4 door. If so could you give me the dimensions! Even though I have 2 of them I would probably be fine with just putting one in my jeep if I can't fit 2 under the rear seat
Old 11-08-2016, 09:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocklobster27
I recently picked up 2 jl audio 8" subwoofers and was hoping someone had made a custom box or bought one that fit under their rear seats on their jk 4 door. If so could you give me the dimensions! Even though I have 2 of them I would probably be fine with just putting one in my jeep if I can't fit 2 under the rear seat
This woofers are 6 3/4" deep and need another 1" for the pole vent to breath. The most depth you will get under the seat is maybe 5 1/2" or you will have to raise the seat up or loose the ability to slide up and back.

The JLs also need .9 cu ft for a sealed enclosure. I'm able to get .6 cu inch using molded fiberglass, but again that is keeping the depth below 5 1/2" so the seats are still fully operational.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mattk11
This woofers are 6 3/4" deep and need another 1" for the pole vent to breath. The most depth you will get under the seat is maybe 5 1/2" or you will have to raise the seat up or loose the ability to slide up and back.

The JLs also need .9 cu ft for a sealed enclosure. I'm able to get .6 cu inch using molded fiberglass, but again that is keeping the depth below 5 1/2" so the seats are still fully operational.

Im talking about the rear seats the fronts so they can't slide back anyway. But if I can't fit the subs straight up and down I could maybe buy longer seat bolts and make some spacers. Or I wonder if I can put one of the subs facing forward in the middle of the seats.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:41 PM
JK Newbie

You can't put anything under the seats and expect to be able to fold them down. The seats won't fold, or, depending on what's under there, you'll break it. As me how I figure that out....
Old 11-26-2016, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

Well I don't care to fold the seats down anything big that I need to haul in my jeep I can put on my roof rack
Old 11-28-2016, 07:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rocklobster27
Well I don't care to fold the seats down anything big that I need to haul in my jeep I can put on my roof rack
The problem with raising the rear seat is that the latch that holds it from tumbling is mounted to the floor of the Jeep, so you'd have to fab up something for it to latch too. This will also probably make the back seat less safe, as the seatbelts will be positioned incorrectly now and if the mount isn't stout, you could have the seat crush your rear passengers if it came loose in a hard stop. I think there are better locations for a subwoofer.

Quick Reply: Mounting jl audio 8" w7 under rear seat?