Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Morimoto Sealed7 + XB LED Fogs = Perfect Affordable Lighting from TheRetrofit Source

Old 10-16-2015, 02:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's see some pics
Old 12-21-2015, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you end up mounting the ballasts, relay box and resistors?
Old 01-01-2016, 07:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by etl330
Over the past two years I've gone through a few different head/fog light setups and I think I finally found the perfect affordable solution. First I spent way too much money on Truck Lites which iced over in the snow and became completely useless. Then I got the heated Truck Lites and they were okay, but still not excellent.

During this time I went from the stock fogs to Rigid knock off square amber 'floods' and those were just too blinding to other people on the road. They threw light everywhere and I was constantly getting flashed. Next I tried drop in LED bulbs which did next to nothing except change the color of the light and then I added amber film and that seemed to eliminate any usable light.

Fast forward to after a year with Truck Lites and I decided it was time to give true HIDs a shot. Two of my buddies told me that the Morimoto Sealed7s were much better projectors than the ones included from the big JK retrofit guy who's on the other forum. One of these friends had those lights and the output was good, but I wasn't impressed with how the buckets looked and after getting a very high quote from that guy, I took my friends' advice and ordered my Sealed 7s from TRS. I was concerned about having to 'build' the lights since I wanted to customize my shroud color(the offer a pre-built option if you're okay with the chrome shrouds), but after talking to Matt at TRS and Chris(a very passionate Sealed7 owner) over on JKO I felt confident that even I could handle cutting, painting and gluing the shroud. The projectors come pre-installed in these lights which is usually the hardest part. The only issue I had was with the high beams, and it turned out that the problem lies within my Jeep as a shop that I reached out to with lighting experience decided wiring the high beams to my SPOD was the easiest way to go. So after $400(with discount code) and a few hours of work I have really good looking lights that put out more light than I have seen any vehicle with OEM hids or LEDs exceed. I've since driven a few new Bimmers with OEM Hids and a new Mini with their new LED headlights and the Sealed7s just destroy them. I've joked that I can't get a new car that can't be retrofit because these headlights have spoiled me so much.

So naturally when I heard that The Retrofit Source was going to be selling LED fogs from the same company, Morimoto, I jumped. After a simple plug and play install these lights are just as awesome. The output(which I need to grab a pic of) is low, wide and has a crisp cutoff. They do exactly what a fog should do and they do it for $170 compared to $300+ for the JW speaker fogs.

All in all my light setup cost me $570 and I'd put it up against the JW Speaker setup that winds up at $1000+ for fogs and head lights. Also, for what it's worth, I can't say enough about TRS customer service. They've always gotten back to me almost momentarily and I've never had a painful experience with them.

Any flicker from the fog light? Is an anti-flicker harness required? Thank you.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by USN_MSC
Any flicker from the fog light? Is an anti-flicker harness required? Thank you.
Also interested to know this.

These Super7s could be the solution I've been looking for. No flickering is a must though...
Old 01-02-2016, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

Answered my own question:

Originally Posted by etl330
I don't have any flicker issues on my '13
Old 01-02-2016, 09:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on these. Concerned about install.
I've heard it is a tight fit and I think it was washer fluid has to be shifted. And if so is the washer fluid not secure. Don't want to break anything by squishing the lights in there

Also assembly, but many have said it is easy, maybe that would be understood once in hand.

Has anyone found a write up to the install?
Old 01-03-2016, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Monster696
I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on these. Concerned about install.
I've heard it is a tight fit and I think it was washer fluid has to be shifted. And if so is the washer fluid not secure. Don't want to break anything by squishing the lights in there

Also assembly, but many have said it is easy, maybe that would be understood once in hand.

Has anyone found a write up to the install?
I just installed these in the wife's jeep and she LOVES them. The power steering pump does need to be unbolted, but it definitely won't move. You don't have to do anything with the washer fluid reservoir. I put the headlights together myself, which wasn't difficult. You only have to install the shroud, lens, and bulb. the projectors are pre-installed in the housing and are lined up already. Installing them in the jeep was definitely the most difficult part. It probably would have been much easier if I didn't install them outside when it's 8 degrees out (It's a mistake I won't make again). If it was warmer I probably would have removed the air intake box. It would have made install so much easier on the driver's side. There's not much room to get your hands in the space behind the headlights to move the harnesses and then screw in the new headlights. An extra set of hands would have also made it much easier.

The retrofit source instruction made sense once I was installing the lights. With their motocontrol harness, the wire lengths make it difficult to hook up the ballasts and secure them to the frame (my hands being painfully frozen and unable to grip things at all didn't help either). Overall I feel like these lights are amazing and completely worth the money.

Quick Reply: Morimoto Sealed7 + XB LED Fogs = Perfect Affordable Lighting from TheRetrofit Source