Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

MOPAR Kicker Upgrade

Old 09-02-2013, 01:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOPAR Kicker Upgrade

For those who have done the Mopar Kicker upgrade, did you have to replace the cheapo head unit to notice a difference?
Old 09-02-2013, 03:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Nope! I changed just the speakers a few weeks ago and there is a big difference in sound. I got them off ebay, cheapest place I could find them, part number 77kick10.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by blue project
Nope! I changed just the speakers a few weeks ago and there is a big difference in sound. I got them off ebay, cheapest place I could find them, part number 77kick10.
Sweet, did you buy all four?
Old 09-02-2013, 04:08 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I changed out the soundbar speakers for the Mopar kickers, bought from Amazon for $65. Nice clean sound in comparison to the base model oe speakers.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:11 PM
JK Newbie

I replaced all 4 speakers and both tweeters with alpine type s also installed alpine power pack that was with stock RES radio than upgraded radio to RBZ totally different.much louder/clearer sound
Old 09-02-2013, 05:09 PM
JK Freak

Does anyone know how they compare to the Infinity sound systems?
Old 09-02-2013, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by meep97
Does anyone know how they compare to the Infinity sound systems?
I don't care for the stock Infinity system in my JK, thought it would sound the same as the stock Infinity system in my 04 Liberty's ( kick a$$) WRONG !!, gonna start with speakers first, then amp & head unit as funds allow
Old 09-02-2013, 06:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the base audio in my 13 sport.. I replaced all 4 speakers wit the 77KICK10's and then put in the 4.1 channel amp, and installed the kicker Sub (takes up a lot of room in a 2 door).. it also came with its own amp..

I have the stock U-connect head unit with the phone and SAT radio...

only issue I had was the sub was WAY too loud.. so I unhooked one of the 2 voice coil wires and now I can turn the bass control up on the HU from the lowest setting to about -2 or -3 and have great full and clean sound..

I like it better than the infinity premium sound I had in my previous JK's...

the soundbar is still somewhat weak.. im thinking I need to dynamat it on the inside and polyfil it.
all of the stuff I bought was Plug and play.. no wire cutting and splicing.. hasrdest thing to do was remove the driver side speaker pod to mount the amp.. definitely dont do that in cold weather or you would break the dashboard panel..

-Christopher
Old 09-02-2013, 11:57 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I installed the front two Kicker speakers a few years back and immediately noticed a huge improvement. About 6-8 months later I replaced the sound bar speakers, and could tell not difference. If you only have two, replace the front two.

As for comparison to the Infinity system: A friend and I compared our two systems--mine with two front Kickers and base RES head unit, his with the full-blown Infinity system. His obviously had way more bass and sounded better than mine. Then, for grins, we faded the sound to the front speakers only on both Jeeps. Playing a great track I have that has deep bass and a short stretch of cymbals, it was obvious that mine was putting out the better sound. His Infinity system (front speakers only) sounded horrible--pretty much just like my RES unit before the Kicker upgrade. It was just that the loud bass was hiding the otherwise horrible sound. So, I recommend that those with the Infinity system at least upgrade their front speakers. Please note this was a 2007 and 2008 Jeep comparison. Can't say for sure about the newer interior and any possible improvements they may have done to its audio system.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:04 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
... Playing a great track I have that has deep bass and a short stretch of cymbals ...
That track. This video does it no justice. You ought to hear that bass on the 16" woofers on my home stereo. Modern-day miniature subwoofers are pitiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwVycuFB7sc

Quick Reply: MOPAR Kicker Upgrade