Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Minor electrical question about installing a gauge

Old 11-12-2011, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Minor electrical question about installing a gauge

Hey everyone. I am not the best at wiring and am looking to install a gauge for my oil pressure. It is a mechanical gauge with lighting. I have installed it on the left of the steering column just below the driver side door vent. I have the ground ran down to the stock ground near the door harness. My question is where should i get power for the light on the gauge. Is there an easy spot to tie into or can the wire be placed into one of the many connectors under the column. I am going to put an inline fuse for safety but really dont know where to get the power from. If anyone can give me some ideas I would appreciate it. Oh, I do want it to power off with the ignition if possible due to having doors off some, but if there is no other way then just tell me the easiest. Thanks

Joe
Old 11-12-2011, 04:14 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Here's a convenient way to power a gauge light that will be switched on and off with the ignition key:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...d-Power-Source
Old 11-12-2011, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome description. I really appreciate the help. Great pics too. It will help alot.

Quick Reply: Minor electrical question about installing a gauge