Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Media Center 130 (RES+RSC) to Media Center 430N (RHB)

Old 11-07-2011, 12:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Media Center 130 (RES+RSC) to Media Center 430N (RHB)

When spec'ing out my wife's '12 JK Sahara she had no interest in a navigation unit. The day after her JK was built she came and told me she saw a Jeep with a navigation unit and now thinks it's a good idea.

Her JK will come with the Media Center 130 with Sirius satellite radio, Infinity sound, UConnect, and Connectivity Group.

I found a source where I can buy a Media Center 430N (RHB) online and they guarantee it will work without having to go to the dealer for activation. Will I be able to just plug and play a Media Center 430N (RHB) unit into place with all the features like steering wheel controls, and voice commands? Will the free year of Sirius Satellite radio transfer to the new unit? I may possibly go the MyGig Lockpick route and add a rear camera as well.

I know I can go the aftermarket route but it seems that there is a lot more work and expense after you buy all the conversion kits, satellite radio interface, antennas, trim adapters, etc.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This will be a direct plug and play install with no added kits or CAN modules like would be if you went aftermarket. The only thing is that you need to make SURE that you get a hi speed CAN radio.

Originally Posted by stroh
When spec'ing out my wife's '12 JK Sahara she had no interest in a navigation unit. The day after her JK was built she came and told me she saw a Jeep with a navigation unit and now thinks it's a good idea.

Her JK will come with the Media Center 130 with Sirius satellite radio, Infinity sound, UConnect, and Connectivity Group.

I found a source where I can buy a Media Center 430N (RHB) online and they guarantee it will work without having to go to the dealer for activation. Will I be able to just plug and play a Media Center 430N (RHB) unit into place with all the features like steering wheel controls, and voice commands? Will the free year of Sirius Satellite radio transfer to the new unit? I may possibly go the MyGig Lockpick route and add a rear camera as well.

I know I can go the aftermarket route but it seems that there is a lot more work and expense after you buy all the conversion kits, satellite radio interface, antennas, trim adapters, etc.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all your help both here and via PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:35 AM
JK Newbie

High Speed CAN radio ???
Old 11-14-2011, 07:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by engine12
High Speed CAN radio ???

The CAN Bus is an automotive bus developed by Robert Bosch, which has quickly gained acceptance into the automotive and aerospace industries. CAN is a serial bus protocol to connect individual systems and sensors as an alternative to conventional multi-wire looms. It allows automotive components to communicate on a single or dual-wire networked data bus up to 1Mbps.

Depending on your Jeep's model year it can be either high speed or low speed. The 2012 model year uses high speed.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Argh. My own experience doing this was similar, although I ended up giving up.

I bought a supposedly new 430N (RHB) off eBay for $700 and it arrived broken (although I didn't realize this). Took it too the local installer (because I was still scared of ripping apart the dash of my new 2012 Dozer) and had them do it ... wanted the plug-n-play experience. $120. Anyway, it didn't work. They said it needed flashing so I went to the dealer. They were actually really great, but did charge me another $120 to remove the radio and figure out that it wasn't working because the connectors were broken on the back. In hindsight, the eBay seller had poorly packaged the radio and they were likely broken in transit (I could see--in hindsight--the indentations from the broken connectors in the box). I asked the dealer to swap me back to 130, which they did.

So now I'm $700 + $120 + $120 and back where I started. eBay seller says "pound sand," and so I'm forced to start the eBay complaint process. Luckily, I'm close to Oregon and a da mned lawyer so the threat to drive down and sue his as s got the eBay seller to refund the money.

So I'm loving my 130.

If I had any advice on this it would be to very, very carefully inspect your radio when it arrives. Wiggle those connectors on the back and make sure they are tight. And if you're going to have somebody install the radio, I'd have your dealer do it. My dealer--at least--is really cool. The service guys are all jeep guys and seemed to love the jeeps as much as we do.

Quick Reply: Media Center 130 (RES+RSC) to Media Center 430N (RHB)