Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Map Light LED Replacement

Old 01-01-2023, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did you guys used to remove those four circle plastic behind the board? Heat gun? Or just pry and pop it off?
Old 01-09-2023, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Peeta01

What did you guys used to remove those four circle plastic behind the board? Heat gun? Or just pry and pop it off?
Got this resolved. I went ahead and used a welding knife to cut it off. I was able to replace the LED with a soldering heat gun. I did the same with the footwell lights, replaced the LED. now all my interior lights are white. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2023, 10:52 AM
JK Newbie

Got this resolved. I went ahead and used a welding knife to cut it off. I was able to replace the LED with a soldering heat gun. I did the same with the footwell lights, replaced the LED. now all my interior lights are white. Thanks!
I'm doing this now and found your post. How did you go about putting it back together? Did the silver colored piece stay in place and seat properly with just the rubber tabs afterwards?

Any other tips you care to share for this or the footwell lights?

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2023, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by storm14jku
I'm doing this now and found your post. How did you go about putting it back together? Did the silver colored piece stay in place and seat properly with just the rubber tabs afterwards?

Any other tips you care to share for this or the footwell lights?

Thanks!
YES, it will seat properly afterwards.
i use a soldering heat gun to take off the leds on the boards. I did this for both the footwell and map light. I had to play with the footwell leds cause i got to figure out which leads were correct for the board to led pad. (Basically it was flipped around and test) foot well was easier to access the board. It was hard to get the stock led off. Patience and apply pressure to led while heating the led.
Old 01-25-2023, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

YES, it will seat properly afterwards.
i use a soldering heat gun to take off the leds on the boards. I did this for both the footwell and map light. I had to play with the footwell leds cause i got to figure out which leads were correct for the board to led pad. (Basically it was flipped around and test) foot well was easier to access the board. It was hard to get the stock led off. Patience and apply pressure to led while heating the led.
Thanks for the reply. I got circuit board taken apart, but soldering is not my strong suit. I messed something up and the new LEDs don't work. Got a replacement mirror coming, but I might try to find someone to do the LED removal and soldering for me.

Thanks again!
Old 01-25-2023, 11:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by storm14jku
Thanks for the reply. I got circuit board taken apart, but soldering is not my strong suit. I messed something up and the new LEDs don't work. Got a replacement mirror coming, but I might try to find someone to do the LED removal and soldering for me.

Thanks again!
You want to make sure that the solder/lead is not making contact with both ends of the led. Try flipping the led around and see if it works...

Quick Reply: Map Light LED Replacement