Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

MAJOR BUG with MYGIG/Uconnect and Apple devices!!

Old 10-05-2012, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAJOR BUG with MYGIG/Uconnect and Apple devices!!

-Uconnect w/ Mygig reverses stereo channels through iPhone/iPod/iPad when connected over USB or Bluetooth . Left is Right, Right is Left. Analog input works fine.
-audio output has strange "wobble" sound similar to a whammy bar on a guitar. Hard to detect with music, easy to hear w/ test tones.

I recently loaded some audio test tracks on to my iPhone so I could set my amplifier gains using my iPhone since that is what I would be using to play music most of the time in my Jeep. I connected the iPhone over USB to my 730n RHR and I was playing some test tracks and messing around, tuning my system. I played a Left/Right channel test track and discovered that the Uconnect or the 730n, wherever the DAC chip that decodes digital files is reversing the Left and Right channels. Along with the channel reversal, it's also warping the output and makes it sound similar to the effect of a whammy bar on a guitar. The distortion might be difficult to detect when playing music but when I play a test tone the output sounds like it's wavering and the output changes. I tested this on an iPhone 4s, iPhone 3gs, iPod touch, iPad 3, iPad 2 and they all had the same results but only over a digital connection, USB and Bluetooth. When testing over the headphone jack > Aux in on the 730N the output is normal.

I contacted uconnect about this problem and they suggested it was related to they type of files that were being played back from the iPhone and that the file type might be apple encrypted and incompatible w/ Uconnect. To test this i ripped the L+R Channel test track from the cd again and encoded 4 different versions: 1 ACC, 1 WAV, 1 MP3, 1 Apple Lossless. I tried playing back each file type to see if there was a difference and the issues were present with all the files. This is obviously a bug and a pretty big one. Yes, it may not be as crucial like some other problems people are having but when it's a basic, fundamental element of how the system is programed like PROPERLY SETTING UP YOUR LEFT AND RIGHT CHANNELS, it's a pretty big deal. I've only ever seen one other post about this on another message board w/ out a solution so I'm anxious to see if other people have this issue, I suspect they will. Chrysler needs to fix this!!!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Interesting. I'll have to check this out.

How many non Apple devices have you tried these same tests out on? The reason I ask is because you haven't really proven anything at this point of this being a radio problem until you did the same test with other devices. You may have just found a bug with your Apple device. What if the bug is on your Apple device? Have you called Apple yet and have you gotten a response from them?

Last edited by Rednroll; 10-05-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Interesting. I'll have to check this out.

How many non Apple devices have you tried these same tests out on? The reason I ask is because you haven't really proven anything at this point of this being a radio problem until you did the same test with other devices. You may have just found a bug with your Apple device. What if the bug is on your Apple device? Have you called Apple yet and have you gotten a response from them?
Yes that's why I said in the title it was WITH APPLE DEVICES, not with every device. I haven't tested other phones. I know there's specific code for apple hence the apple specific software updates that there has been for the mygig. That's why it is a Chrysler bug not an apple bug.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DudeManBro
Yes that's why I said in the title it was WITH APPLE DEVICES, not with every device. I haven't tested other phones. I know there's specific code for apple hence the apple specific software updates that there has been for the mygig. That's why it is a Chrysler bug not an apple bug.

You do realize why there's specific code for Apple devices don't you? It's because the Apple device usually has bugs and it's up to the other devices to work around Apple's bugs. Apple does not support 3rd party accessory developers when there are problems, where Apple views your vehicle as a 3rd party accessory for their iPhone, and gets treated just the same by Apple as if it was an iPod docking station. Actual words from Apple developers when I have spoken to them in the past. So, I guess what I'm getting at is that you're kind of making some incorrect assumptions and you may be barking up the wrong tree and making yourself look like an ass while trying to make solid case by using test tones and such. In other words, you've done a half-assed job of proving the case you're trying to prove. Now if you had tried these things out with other devices like I had suggested then you would have a pretty solid case of who should be fixing the problem. You don't own any USB sticks?

Last edited by Rednroll; 10-06-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:10 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Ditch your apple and buy a real phone. My 3 Samsung phones connect with no issues as does my old HTC hero g2. My iPhone never connected properly.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

You do realize why there's specific code for Apple devices don't you? It's because the Apple device usually has bugs and it's up to the other devices to work around Apple's bugs. Apple does not support 3rd party accessory developers when there are problems, where Apple views your vehicle as a 3rd party accessory for their iPhone, and gets treated just the same by Apple as if it was an iPod docking station. Actual words from Apple developers when I have spoken to them in the past. So, I guess what I'm getting at is that you're kind of making some incorrect assumptions and you may be barking up the wrong tree and making yourself look like an ass while trying to make solid case by using test tones and such. In other words, you've done a half-assed job of proving the case you're trying to prove. Now if you had tried these things out with other devices like I had suggested then you would have a pretty solid case of who should be fixing the problem. You don't own any USB sticks?
My intent was to bring attention to this particular problem between Uconnect and Apple products. I'm not trying to prove there is a bug for every device or trying to make this an, "Apple is not at fault, everything else is" sort of argument or even an argument at all. You are using very combative language and it seems as if you are responding without reading the entire posts because you're repeating things I have already said and asking questions that already were answered. The methods i used to test the problem were chosen to rule out the possibility of it being specific to my Apple device and rather Apple devices on a whole, that is why i tested a variety of Apple products with different software. I'm not trying to test other devices for this problem other than for curiosity's sake because the fact that it is a problem with Apple products is enough to justify a fix. True, if other devices have this same issue it would help build the case that there is a Uconnect problem but at this point Apple has captured a significant enough share of the market to justify 3rd party accessory manufacturers exclusive attention. You said it yourself, Apple doesn't support 3rd party accessories so it is up to the developer of the 3rd party accessory to work around Apple's programming. Chrysler has released official updates catered to specific Apple products in the past so I am hoping they can release an update to fix this issue.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

So there's a problem playing sine waves which no one listens to and this deserves a fix?

You know when I play a sine wave on my iPhone and turn the volume all the way up without it connected to anything there is distortion? So is that a bug or was it designed to work that way, because Apple designed their phone to work more optimally with music than with the worst case scenario sine waves?

So the same thing could be going on here on the uconnect side and you're looking to have it fixed, so that it could possibly break and not work as well with the other 100 devices on the market.

I'm not using combative language, I'm just pointing out that you sound like you're trying to play engineer and I'm trying to let you know, that you're doing a very poor job of it and suggesting what you need to do if you want to keep playing engineer.

Last edited by Rednroll; 10-06-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

So there's a problem playing sine waves which no one listens to and this deserves a fix?

You know when I play a sine wave on my iPhone and turn the volume all the way up without it connected to anything there is distortion? So is that a bug or was it designed to work that way, because Apple designed their phone to work more optimally with music than with the worst case scenario sine waves?

So the same thing could be going on here on the uconnect side and you're looking to have it fixed, so that it could possibly break and not work as well with the other 100 devices on the market.

I'm not using combative language, I'm just pointing out that you sound like you're trying to play engineer and I'm trying to let you know, that you're doing a very poor job of it and suggesting what you need to do if you want to keep playing engineer.
Sorry you're unsatisfied with my, "Engineering" Rednroll. Again, try reading the entire posts before responding with insulting comments and fragmented statements that illustrate your lack of attention to the details of what i described.

-The iphone and uconnect play back digital audio files without discretion as to what genre of audio the track is. An audio track is an audio track whether it's a test track or music. If the problem is audible in the test track it will be audible in a music track although some people might not have the ear or quality material to be able to perceive it. Also, if you care about things working correctly and you're system sounding good you'll understand the importance of having a correct L, R stereo image.
-The problem is audible when the device is CONNECTED over USB or when using Bluetooth playback mode.
-If a fix to this problem has a risk of creating more problems for other devices then perhaps that's an internal QC issue w/ Chrysler. I know there's been lots of issues w/ different people updating their mygig's and having new problems but I don't think the solution is to just not try and fix something because it's a risk..

I only have one Jeep to test this on so it certainly is possible that this is only happening for me but there is nothing particulaly different w/ my setup than others w/ the 730n and infinity system.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DudeManBro
Sorry you're unsatisfied with my, "Engineering" Rednroll. Again, try reading the entire posts before responding with insulting comments and fragmented statements that illustrate your lack of attention to the details of what i described.

-The iphone and uconnect play back digital audio files without discretion as to what genre of audio the track is. An audio track is an audio track whether it's a test track or music. If the problem is audible in the test track it will be audible in a music track although some people might not have the ear or quality material to be able to perceive it. Also, if you care about things working correctly and you're system sounding good you'll understand the importance of having a correct L, R stereo image.
-The problem is audible when the device is CONNECTED over USB or when using Bluetooth playback mode.
-If a fix to this problem has a risk of creating more problems for other devices then perhaps that's an internal QC issue w/ Chrysler. I know there's been lots of issues w/ different people updating their mygig's and having new problems but I don't think the solution is to just not try and fix something because it's a risk..

I only have one Jeep to test this on so it certainly is possible that this is only happening for me but there is nothing particulaly different w/ my setup than others w/ the 730n and infinity system.

As I said before. I'm just trying to point you in the right direction. I do this kind of stuff for a living. Sorry, if you are taking offense to my suggestions. I only have 20+ years of experience working in the development and testing of audio and electronic products but what the hell do I know? I know exactly what you are describing, I don't need to read anything again. I'm giving you some advise.

So since you wouldn't take my advise I went ahead and did it myself.

1st Point: Yes, you are correct that with Apple devices, the L/R is reversed when using BT and USB connections. Contrary to that, when plugging in a USB stick with the exact same files on them the L/R channel mappings are correct. So as you pointed out, the USB connection is a "Digital" connection. Well so is the USB stick with media files plugged into the same USB port. So where is the problem? Is the problem with the way the Apple devices are transferring the data to the Uconnect or is it how the Uconnect is interpretting the digital data it is receiving? The answer is, it's inconclusive because fixing it so that it works properly on one device may make it so it works incorrectly on the other device. More testing and investigating is needed to determine where this "bug" is and which device should be fixing the problem. It doesn't necessarily mean "Chrysler needs to fix this" like you described. It may mean, "Apple needs to fix this and probably won't", so keep on buying Apple devices if this is so crucial to you like you described.

2nd Point: No I did not observe ANY warping of the output sound making it sound similar to the effect of a whammy bar on a guitar. As you originally stated you observed this while messing around and "tuning" your system. What do you mean by "tuning' your system? Does this mean you have an external amplifier, where you are adjusting some input gains?

Let me tell you a couple things about "Sine Waves" and amplifiers and how they relate to the design of an audio system. A sine wave is often used as a worst case test for an amplifier or any other audio reproductive device. Yes, it's an audio signal but what makes it non realistic is that a Sine wave has a -3dB RMS level. NO other audio signal has an RMS level that high. Most "real" music runs around -10dB RMS and highly compressed music comes in around -6dB RMS. So even the worst case music track draws half the power that it would require to playback your Sine wave test tracks. You probably don't believe me, so do yourself a favor and buy yourself a current meter and measure the current draw when playing a Sine wave vs. a typical music track with the same volume setting on the radio and watch how much more AMPS are being drawn while playing back that sine wave.

So why does this matter? The reason why it matters is because having to playback a Sine Wave requires at least twice the power consumption in an amplifier as it would for ANY other audio music, and what does twice the power consumption do in electronic devices like an amplifier? It makes them twice as HOT. Most current amplifier designs are smart enough, that when it starts to get overly hot it invokes a protection mechanism inside the amplifier to prevent itself form burning up and self destructing itself. One of these protection mechanisms used is called a "Fold back" mechanism. The amplifier will start folding back the amount of output gain, thus reducing the output gain by decreasing the amount of power the amp is drawing and therefore allowing itself to cool down while it's turning itself down. As it cool downs, it then starts to bring the output gain levels back up. Now if you listened to this while playing a sine wave it would sound like the audio is warbling, thus adjusting the level of the playing sine wave up and down but if you did this same thing with a regular music track you wouldn't notice it because the music naturally has dynamics and would allow the amplifier to naturally cool down or when the amplifier did fold back, it would be so gradual that you wouldn't be able to detect it with your ear. So what you are currently calling a "Bug" actually may be a feature so the amplifier or radio doesn't burn itself out. It's a feature that only sounds bad when playing Sine Waves like you are doing and then jumping to the wrong conclusions.

But hey...what do I know? I've only been working with and designing audio systems for 20+ years. It's probably just a "bug" like you said. One that I'm not observing with the SAME radio. You know I find I often go to my doctor and tell them they don't know what they're talking about and they don't understand and need to go back and read also. How about you?

Now don't get me wrong. What you found in regards to the L/R channel mapping not being correct should get fixed, but it's always a good idea to make sure you're barking up the right tree before saying things like "Chrysler needs to fix this" and that's what I was trying to point out to you.

Last edited by Rednroll; 10-09-2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW,

You guys just drove me to drinking.