Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Magnetic Light Bar?

Old 04-20-2015, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnetic Light Bar?

Howdy fellas! So i was laying in bed last night trying to think of a way to move a light bar from vehicle to vehicle that wouldn't require drilling. 2 items came to mind, Suction cups and Magnets. Now i know that the jeeps top is fiberglass but what about other vehicles or even the roll cage when topless? I will be traveling for work again and want to try using magnets to mount a 50" light bar on our F150 and F250 work trucks. I did some searching and came up empty handed for the most part and i know the jeep community is full of DIY-ers. I'm looking for your input and opinions on this possibility and guidance to achieve this. i thought about suction cups but i think there is to much risk with changing temperatures, flexing metals, debris and pure force due to air that would make them to risky. Thanks in advance fellas!
Old 04-20-2015, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

Another thought that goes into the magnets is how strong should it be or how many should be used. I would think that two 200lb magnets would be enough to support a 50" bar? Maybe a guy could use the same bracket used on emergency vehicles?
Old 04-20-2015, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Lerew
Another thought that goes into the magnets is how strong should it be or how many should be used. I would think that two 200lb magnets would be enough to support a 50" bar? Maybe a guy could use the same bracket used on emergency vehicles?
In definitely no expert, so don't take my word for it or bash me if I'm wrong, but I would imagine that strong of a magnet would cause some sort of interference with a set of LED lights.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Seems like there would be a theft issue as well.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TN_Vol_Jeeper
In definitely no expert, so don't take my word for it or bash me if I'm wrong, but I would imagine that strong of a magnet would cause some sort of interference with a set of LED lights.
that did cross my mind. Hopefully someone might have some input on that subject.

NSShadow {0, -1} color = {UIDeviceWhiteColorSpace 0 0.35}
Old 04-20-2015, 11:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Seems like there would be a theft issue as well.
ah this too. Where I live theft is minimal but it is a possibility where I'll be working. It's still a risk I'm willing to take. That's where the cheap eBay ones come in handy

NSShadow {0, -1} color = {UIDeviceWhiteColorSpace 0 0.35}

Quick Reply: Magnetic Light Bar?