Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Looking to rewire rubicon lockers to spod

Old 12-30-2014, 04:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Is it possible to make it so one of the sPOD switches doesn't handle any power? That way the switch can be used to supply ground to the relay coil.
Hmmm, that's a possibilty. You'd have to use two, one for each locker. Maybe you could just release them from the switch harness plug where it attaches to the sPOD PCB and run your leads to the locker grounds.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sea bass
I did talk to john from Spod today - he did not recommend using the spod to switch the factory lockers. I unfortunately already ordered my otrattw switches too :-(
I had an e-mail exchange with him over the weekend and got the same response. He has a point from the liability perspective, as unless you wire in a defeat of some sort there is a risk of inadvertent activation at speed, etc. I asked if they were taking the same position re: using the sPOD to operate ARBs. He responded that the ARB system requires the compressor to be activated before one could accidentally engage one of the lockers.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
A while back i was thinking about doing the same thing and emailed the sPod guy. He sent me a "theoretical" writing diagram and instructions with the disclaimer it was not advised since it wouldn't prevent accidental activation on pavement (you know gotta please the lawyers, haha). Unfortunately,I don't have the email (or can't find it), but you should be able to just email their customer service for it.
Lol, when I e-mailed him over the weekend he said he didn't have any way to do this...I think perhaps the legal department has flexed a muscle or two.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Not sure if this will help, and it would really be a kludge, but maybe what I did to implement an engine fan switch can be modified for this. Here's the diagram for that ...

As for inadvertent actuation of the locker while driving, what I did for that was to modify my dual-lit sPOD (has the button for the switch panel lights) so that the button for the panel lights became an sPOD power button. When pushed off, all of the sPOD switches are inoperative and not backlit. It takes two actions to turn on any of the sPOD-controlled devices: Turn on the power switch, then activate the sPOD toggle for that device. Since all of the sPOD devices I have wired are needed only off-road, this works well for me.

Attachment 589596
This is your best option if you want to use the SPOD to actuate them. Its clean and will help to avoid sending unwanted current back into the computer.
Mark, This is perfect example of how to use a relay to actuate anything that is ground enabled. I deal with stuff like this at work all the time. Most of the time I prefer to supply power to a component and control current via a transistor though a NPN transistor to ground.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoK66
I had an e-mail exchange with him over the weekend and got the same response. He has a point from the liability perspective, as unless you wire in a defeat of some sort there is a risk of inadvertent activation at speed, etc. I asked if they were taking the same position re: using the sPOD to operate ARBs. He responded that the ARB system requires the compressor to be activated before one could accidentally engage one of the lockers.
Same conversation I had. I too asked him about the arb's and got the same answer. I like the safety mechanism mark wired in but I use my switches on the road. The ground relay makes perfect sense! I was trying to figure it out in my head but it's so simple after seeing his diagram.

Now - I just need a safety mech. Is there a way to ground it sooner in the circuitry so that it still has the same stock limitations? I'd be happy with that at the very least.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by espi
This is your best option if you want to use the SPOD to actuate them. Its clean and will help to avoid sending unwanted current back into the computer.
Mark, This is perfect example of how to use a relay to actuate anything that is ground enabled. I deal with stuff like this at work all the time. Most of the time I prefer to supply power to a component and control current via a transistor though a NPN transistor to ground.
Agreed. Simple application of the bypass mod using positive current from the sPOD to activate a supplemental bypass relay. Eliminates the need to break into the harness to get at the positive wires to the locker coils, and leaves Nanny in place. If one wanted a kill switch just put one between the added relay and the locker relay grounds.

This doesn't solve the bypass's flasing dash locker lights issue. More to ponder.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now are you guys currently driving Rubicon's and wanting to re-wire to the sPOD or non-rubi's and wanting to run Rubi axles? I currently drive a 2012 JK and I am swapping in Rubi axles so it should just be simple wiring from the locker to the sPOD. My buddy swapped in Rubi axles into his TJ and ran his wiring straight to the sPOD with no issues at all.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:26 PM
JK Freak

That works fine. The complication for Rubis relates to the TCM logic interaction with the locker control. Rubi lockers just switch on & off with relays, but the stuff in between the switch and the relays makes things goofy when just trying to switch with the sPOD.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoK66
That works fine. The complication for Rubis relates to the TCM logic interaction with the locker control. Rubi lockers just switch on & off with relays, but the stuff in between the switch and the relays makes things goofy when just trying to switch with the sPOD.
Ok. Read the whole thread, went cross-eyed, read another thread and now back to this one. I also have a JK Sport and will be swapping in Rubicon axles over the christmas break. I also have an sPod with two available switches. I'm operating under the theory that I can supply 12v power to each locker through the relays in the sPod source. All these conversations about switching in the negative and bypassing existing rubicon wiring/computers should not apply, correct?

I suppose the real question I'm asking is: Do rubicon lockers operate with 12v power? In theory, I can just hook a car battery to my axle on the bench top and lock it, correct?
Old 12-06-2015, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I don't use an sPod, rather have my own fuse block w/relays that I wired myself. BUT, the below diagrams may help you. Plug 1 (the small plug) is the locker. Plug 2 (larger) is the actuator/indicator.

I don't like the computer controlled locker stuff so I bypassed it completely. One thing missing is that I also wired in a safety switch so that I can't inadvertently activate the lockers, just a small round rocker switch that has to be turned on in order for the OTRATTW switches to get power. So, the small rocker switch feeds 12V positive to spades 2 and 6.

The way I have these wired, the large LED window comes on when I activate the switch, then the small horizontal LED comes on when the lockers actually engage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	locker wiring-2.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	631706Click image for larger version

Name:	locker.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	631707

Quick Reply: Looking to rewire rubicon lockers to spod