Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Looking to get some lights

Old 03-05-2008, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get some lights

I want to put a couple lights on my windshield. I think the KC brackets are the ones that don't interfere with the antenna, right?
As for lights..I'm clueless...
What would be the best brand. Searching around the forum I see that KC are very popular. Are they worth the extra price compared to, for example, delta tech and hella?
I'm debating between get driving lights or the long range lights(kc). I know the driving lights are more useful as they spread the light a bit whereas the long range just make a skinny beam. The long range, however, look like they would be more fun with that much power. Any recommendations.

What are the laws in Michigan for lights? Where do they have to be mounted to actually use them on roads, and what brightness (I'm guessing only fogs)? Do they need to be covered?
Old 03-05-2008, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the 6.7" Vision X HID lights mounted on Mopar brackets. I got the Euro beam which is just stunning at night. The only problem is that I had to elongate the hole in the Mopar mounts about 1/8" because the back of the light was too close to the pillar.

As for covers, they come with clear plastic gasketed covers that quickly come off for cleaning and such... these are great because they will withstand serious impacts from debris and you don't have to remove them to use the lights.

Best of all... you get about 7000 lumens out of 2 of these drawing only 6 amps of current (probably 8 amps for the first 10 seconds of so for the ballast to get cranking).

Anyways, to see how bright they are, Go here.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think you forgot to put some on your windshield and some under the front bumper. LOL
Old 03-06-2008, 05:29 AM
JK Junkie

Do a search for Lightforce. They are the best, most durable lights out there. Most Baja racers have been using them for years. I LOVE mine. Plus you can adjust the beam like a mag light.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kuba
I want to put a couple lights on my windshield. I think the KC brackets are the ones that don't interfere with the antenna, right?
What would be the best brand. Searching around the forum I see that KC are very popular. Are they worth the extra price compared to, for example, delta tech and hella?
I'm debating between get driving lights or the long range lights(kc). I know the driving lights are more useful as they spread the light a bit whereas the long range just make a skinny beam. The long range, however, look like they would be more fun with that much power. Any recommendations.

What are the laws in Michigan for lights? Where do they have to be mounted to actually use them on roads, and what brightness (I'm guessing only fogs)? Do they need to be covered?
Yes, KCs do not interfere with antenna, but you'll need to stick to 6" diameter lights (unsure which size you were thinking of).

Many light details in these threads :
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/windshield-lights-show-me-what-you-got-14166/
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/kc-mopar-mount-pics-included-30514/
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/driving-lights-fog-lights-30442/

Comparing lights, imo KC are worth paying a little extra for - better quality, better switch and wiring parts (if you buy with wiring kit) and better instructions and details.

If you're going with 1 extra pair of lights then get driving lights (for reason you stated - long range beam is narrow), but if also getting another pair mounted on bumper then get long range up top and fogs on bumper, which is my set-up and lights up the dark)
Old 03-06-2008, 11:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kuba

Yes, KC brackets do not interfere with antenna, but you'll need to stick to 6" diameter lights (unsure which size you were thinking of).

Comparing lights, imo KC are worth paying a little extra for - better quality, better switch and wiring parts (if you buy with wiring kit) and better instructions and details.

If you're going with 1 extra pair of lights then get driving lights (for reason you stated - long range beam is narrow), but if also getting another pair mounted on bumper then get long range up top and fogs on bumper, which is my set-up and lights up the dark)

Many light details in these threads :
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14166
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30514
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30442

Quick Reply: Looking to get some lights