Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Looking for driving lights

Old 04-01-2013, 06:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for driving lights

So I am looking to replace my old Hella 500 driving lights. I cannot break the bank but am looking for a new set up front. I HAVE to have my light driving at night!!! Any thoughts?
Old 04-01-2013, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Do you want halogen or LED?
Old 04-01-2013, 06:47 AM
JK Super Freak

It doesn't matter to me. I just can't break the bank. There are tons of lights out there I would love to have, but can't afford them. I have to tell you, for the money, my Hella's have lasted forever.

Quick story on the Hella's.... I bought them just after high school around 20 years ago. I used them for a time and then sold my truck. I packed them away, found them a couple years ago and I put them on the JK. The plastic covers had dried up and cracked, but the lights are still going. The reflectors inside are starting to rust. Lights have come a long way and I know I can get something much brighter which is what I am looking for.

Last edited by maine07jk; 04-01-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd stay away from leds living in the snow belt, they don't get hot enough to melt away build up.

I have the warn 650d wireless driving lights and couldn't live without them now, they paid off for me ten fold after I flashed and stunned a deer before it crossed in front of me.

Only thing is they need to be mounted low and I only have windshield brackets at the moment. On the windshield they brighten up the hood too much.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:37 AM
JK Junkie

I had a set of PIAA 520 SMR ION Driving Lights for a year. They were great for Fog, heavy rain, and what little heavy snow we got down here in TX.

They were Driving pattern and great on the Windshild mounts. I would never put Floods or fogs up there.

I bought them off a member here who never got around to installing them for a great price a year ago, and just recently passed along that great price when I sold them. I would suggest looking around for a few different lights that would make you happy, then buy a set when someone sells for a great price.

I'm going through a LED phase right now, so I just bought 2x Dually D2 Spot Chinese "knock-offs" for $75 shipped to my door. I also won a 15" from the great guys at BlitzPro that sparked my love of LED.

From what I've seen and heard, LED gives great flood pattern and great "driving" patterns for me. They don't shine as far as my old PIAA lights, but the light is clear, and shoots right through the trees on the sides of the road so I can see deer and hogs while driving down the road.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Agree on the PIAA 520. They are great lights.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:57 AM
JK Super Freak

I will add that they are going on my front bumper so they will be below the grill.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just had the Optilux 4" HID Driving Lights installed (also made by Hella) ..

_http:// http://www.myhellalights.com/index.p...optilux-4-hid/

I think they were under $200 for the kit ..

Last edited by Ryan0260; 04-01-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm just getting ready to add some lights to my Jk. I think I might try these 4" HID's from ebay. They look and seem to have the same specs as the HIDx lights but are 1/2 the price. Another member just bought the same thing in 7" and loves them. I'll see if I can find that thread.

Last edited by Ryan0260; 04-01-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Delux2769
I had a set of PIAA 520 SMR ION Driving Lights for a year. They were great for Fog, heavy rain, and what little heavy snow we got down here in TX.

They were Driving pattern and great on the Windshild mounts. I would never put Floods or fogs up there.

I bought them off a member here who never got around to installing them for a great price a year ago, and just recently passed along that great price when I sold them. I would suggest looking around for a few different lights that would make you happy, then buy a set when someone sells for a great price.

I'm going through a LED phase right now, so I just bought 2x Dually D2 Spot Chinese "knock-offs" for $75 shipped to my door. I also won a 15" from the great guys at BlitzPro that sparked my love of LED.

From what I've seen and heard, LED gives great flood pattern and great "driving" patterns for me. They don't shine as far as my old PIAA lights, but the light is clear, and shoots right through the trees on the sides of the road so I can see deer and hogs while driving down the road.
Where did you get those knock off Duallys?

Quick Reply: Looking for driving lights