JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/)
-   -   Looking for 2012 7-pin wiring harness and brake controller (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/looking-2012-7-pin-wiring-harness-brake-controller-227172/)

rob_engineer 06-06-2012 04:59 AM

My 7-pin plugs into the 4 pin. My toy hauler requires the 7pin and my landscape style trailer the 4 pin. I just bought an inexpensive adapter at walmart that plugs into the 7 and converts it back to the 4. What I like about this adapter is that it has little red LED lights built in that you can use to confirm the the plug is wired and functioning correctly.

rob_engineer 06-06-2012 06:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Picture of the firewall feedthrough. You see the red and white wire feed through the firewall along with the black washer tube. The wiring to the left is where the two 20amp breakers were fastened to the fire wall one breaker for the brake controller the other for auxiliary power to the hitch harness.

jpone 06-06-2012 10:38 AM

I think the answer to this is obvious, but just spoke with an installer who confused me. Does the Mopar 7-pin wring part number 82210214AB run a brake controller (seems like the answer is yes from previous messages here), and does it also have a charge wire for the trailer?

Can someone confirm so i can tell the installer not to stress?

Thanks!

JP

rob_engineer 06-06-2012 12:21 PM

Yes. The wires on the connector are very short so you need to add to them. You will splice two wires that have to run under the jeep up into the engine compartment. One will go through your fire wall for the brake controller. The other will go to the +side of your battery through a 20 amp circuit breaker. I recommend you buy a brake controller wiring kit which is cheap and includes the wire and breaker.

rob_engineer 06-06-2012 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Yes. The wires on the connector are very short so you need to add to them. You will splice two wires that have to run under the jeep up into the engine compartment. One will go through your fire wall for the brake controller. The other will go to the +side of your battery through a 20 amp circuit breaker. I recommend you buy a brake controller wiring kit which is cheap and includes the wire and breaker.

Actually, the mopar par may include the amount of wire you need. I did not use the mopar part.

Steele2j 06-06-2012 12:49 PM

I just got a harness and wired it myself. It was not hard at all. The mopar one is nice because it connects into the tail light without splicing.

jpone 06-06-2012 08:04 PM

ok - So am i correct that the Mopar kit has the short pigtails for the brake controller and the trailer battery charger, but not the complete wires?

Can anyone confirm?

Radioman 06-06-2012 08:32 PM

The Mopar kit connects to the Jeep behind the left rear taillight. From there it runs to the rear of the Jeep (bumper) where you will install the 7 pin connector. From the 7 pin connector, the wiring (3 wires) continue up to the engine compartment on the underside of the Jeep. There is heat shield on the wiring where needed to kept the wires safe. In the engine compartment, the white wire connects to the negative side of the battery and the red wire (through a waterproof fuse) connects to the positive side of the battery. This wire (connected to the postive post of your battery) will connect your trailer mounted battery through the 7 pin conncector. There is plenty of blue wire (the third wire brought forward) to enter the cab near the driver's side. This wire will connect to your brake controller output.

jpone 06-07-2012 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Radioman (Post 3055074)
The Mopar kit connects to the Jeep behind the left rear taillight. From there it runs to the rear of the Jeep (bumper) where you will install the 7 pin connector. From the 7 pin connector, the wiring (3 wires) continue up to the engine compartment on the underside of the Jeep. There is heat shield on the wiring where needed to kept the wires safe. In the engine compartment, the white wire connects to the negative side of the battery and the red wire (through a waterproof fuse) connects to the positive side of the battery. This wire (connected to the postive post of your battery) will connect your trailer mounted battery through the 7 pin conncector. There is plenty of blue wire (the third wire brought forward) to enter the cab near the driver's side. This wire will connect to your brake controller output.

Thanks Radioman - I think you are replying to me with the above to reiterate that your response to my question is YES . . . Sorry to be dense, but I am most def a rookie in these matters.

Just to be clear - The Red wire connects to the positive post and will charge to trailer battery. The red wire is native in this Mopar harness and i will not need anything additional - extra wire - for this connection?

The Blue wire runs the controller and it is also native in this part, and I similarly will not need anything additional for this connection?

Therefore, the Mopar harness comes complete for my application and i will not need to add any wire or parts?

Dense people need very direct answers - sorry

Thanks much for your help!

JP

rob_engineer 06-07-2012 06:25 PM

The mopar part should be complete with the possible exception of a fuse or 20 amp breaker. You will need to run another wire for power from your brake controller through the fire wall to the battery with another fuse or breaker. One person on another post today mentioned and RF brake controller so no direct wire hook ups. Sounds interesting but more expensive.