JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/)
-   -   Looking for 2012 7-pin wiring harness and brake controller (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/looking-2012-7-pin-wiring-harness-brake-controller-227172/)

Former Shasta 05-17-2012 08:21 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. It helped straighten out some things. Trying to do more of the work on my Jeep, so that when things go wrong on the trail, I know more what to do.

jpone 05-22-2012 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by middleurb (Post 3016816)
Rob_engineer,

I have installed the mopar 7 pin harness and am using the tekonsha p3 brake controller. I have installed this combination now twice (2010 & 2012 JK) and its really a breeze. The mopar kit makes it easy and comes with plenty of wire, fuses, and is heat shielded to protect against exhaust heat. The only two wires you need to run to the front engine bay is the power wire to battery which is fused and the blue wire inside the cab which you will need a wire tap to connect it to one of the wires off of the brake pedal. I'm not sure off the top off my head which wire you tap but just PM me if you need to know and I will go look for you.

For the ease of installation I highly recommend the Mopar kit which I got from the dealer for around a $100+-

This is very helpful as I am trying to figure out my best option to add a 7 pin harness. Does this option allow you to retain the flat 4 pin harness as i would like to have both?

middleurb 05-22-2012 05:11 PM

unfortunately you will loose the 4 pin and will only have a 7 pin in the rear. This really is not a big deal since you can easily make a connector that will convert from 7 pin to 4 pin so that you can still tow other things. Any RV place can make you one or you can do it yourself. This was the route I went.

jpone 05-22-2012 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by middleurb (Post 3029546)
unfortunately you will loose the 4 pin and will only have a 7 pin in the rear. This really is not a big deal since you can easily make a connector that will convert from 7 pin to 4 pin so that you can still tow other things. Any RV place can make you one or you can do it yourself. This was the route I went.

Now that you mention it, I think I can buy and adaptor that plugs right into the 7-pin that brings it down to a 4 with all the functionality.

Former Shasta 05-23-2012 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by jpone (Post 3029655)
Now that you mention it, I think I can buy and adaptor that plugs right into the 7-pin that brings it down to a 4 with all the functionality.

Yeah, I picked up an adapter that plugs in to the 7 pin that will do 6, 5, and four, whichever you need.

patrol65 05-31-2012 09:17 AM

same boat or should i say trailer?

got the trans cooler, got the mopar harness. Now whats break stop? prices range from $55 to close to $200 for them. :thinking:

thomp318 06-01-2012 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by middleurb (Post 3016816)
Rob_engineer,

I have installed the mopar 7 pin harness and am using the tekonsha p3 brake controller. I have installed this combination now twice (2010 & 2012 JK) and its really a breeze. The mopar kit makes it easy and comes with plenty of wire, fuses, and is heat shielded to protect against exhaust heat. The only two wires you need to run to the front engine bay is the power wire to battery which is fused and the blue wire inside the cab which you will need a wire tap to connect it to one of the wires off of the brake pedal. I'm not sure off the top off my head which wire you tap but just PM me if you need to know and I will go look for you.

For the ease of installation I highly recommend the Mopar kit which I got from the dealer for around a $100+-

Rob, could you post a pic of how to connected the wire off of the brake pedal, the battery and where you mounted the brake controller? I'm ordering the same parts you mentioned and would like to take a shot at installing it myself. This would be a big help, thanks in advance.

Aaron

jpone 06-05-2012 02:57 PM

Where is the best place to install the brake controller? In my 2007 jku it was installed under the driver's side dash above the right knee. Not the most convenient spot. I know it needs to be in a place where it can set level. There does not seem to be many good options.

Any great ideas on this? Am I missing something obvious?

Pics would be appreciated!

rob_engineer 06-05-2012 03:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Really limited space particularly with a manual trans. I bought a prodigy P2 because you can unplug the harness from the back to keep it out of the way when not needed. The p2 can be rotated 360 degrees. I sit it right by the transfer case shifter. It's been perfectly fine pulling my trailer in that position. As for the wires, they run through your firewall right where the black washer tube enters high up on the drivers side.

Radioman 06-05-2012 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by middleurb (Post 3029546)

I purchased my Rubicon with the tow package which included the 4 pin connector. I later purchased and installed the Mopar 7 pin wiring harness. If you add the 7 pin connections in series with the existing 4 pin connections behind the left rear taillight, both will work. This way, whether I hookup to a 4 pin or a 7 pin trailer, I don't have to use any adaptors. Works great and I really pleased with having both connectors work.