Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

long range lights connection HELP

Old 01-04-2014, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default long range lights connection HELP

Hi guys!
I was wondering if it's possible to connect my long range Hella lights to the stock long range light switch (I don't know what's it called in English, but it's the switch on the left side of the steering wheel which you have to flick forward to turn on the lights). I already have an extra switch for the Hella lights and separate wires, but i'd like for all the long range lights to be on the same switch. Can it be done? I don'd know if I explained correctly, but I hope you understood me.
Thanks in advance
Old 01-04-2014, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rsrekais
Hi guys!
I was wondering if it's possible to connect my long range Hella lights to the stock long range light switch (I don't know what's it called in English, but it's the switch on the left side of the steering wheel which you have to flick forward to turn on the lights). I already have an extra switch for the Hella lights and separate wires, but i'd like for all the long range lights to be on the same switch. Can it be done? I don'd know if I explained correctly, but I hope you understood me.
Thanks in advance

Yes, you can just tap into the high beam wire near one of your headlights to energize the relay for your Hella's.

Last edited by onlyone; 01-04-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onlyone
Yes, you can just tap into the high beam wire near one of your headlights to energize the relay for your Hella's.
Have you done this successfully? I've read the can bus sends a pulsed signal to the headlights that would cause a relay to chatter?
Old 01-05-2014, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DKehler
Have you done this successfully? I've read the can bus sends a pulsed signal to the headlights that would cause a relay to chatter?
I cannot say about the newer ones. I had 4 on my 07 that worked flawlessly. Unless they changed them in the newer models it shouldn't be an issue. I ordered a set of KC's so I hope it still works.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

Alright, that's great, thanks. I also have an 07, so it should probably work.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

Does anybody know how to do that? i know I've seen a write-up somewhere on this forum, but I just can't seem to find it anywhere..
Old 01-16-2014, 10:51 AM
JK Freak

I would highly recommend keeping the KCs on a separate circuit. Not sure which KC lights your running, some draw more current than others (unless using a relay). Also, I cant say for certain limitations are on the stock circuit for the high beams...you may run into problems energizing both KC and high beams together (if tapping the circuit without a relay).
Old 01-16-2014, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

My earlier reply was under the assumption that a relay would be used. Don't try and use the high beams to run the lights. You only use it to energize the relay.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is where to tap to switch on the relay
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3466050026.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	524231  

Quick Reply: long range lights connection HELP