Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

locked keys in car

Old 03-16-2011, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AAA .... or CAA in canada... free
Old 03-16-2011, 09:11 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by finnd1

what kind of car?
Nissan 350Z
Old 03-16-2011, 09:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BigRedJK
There's a "myth" about unlocking your vehicle with power locks over a cell phone that I've tried and really works. Call someone who has a spare set of your key w/ an unlock button... hold your phone close to the vehicle... when the person over the phone presses the unlock button, it should disengage the power locks. My wife locked her keys in her car and I used her spare over the phone... worked like a charm.
Was the car locked in the garage and you did it from the other room? just kidding, but I'd need to see it done before I believed it
Old 09-10-2019, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

Never happened to me but if this will happen to me i would prefer hiring emergency locksmith near me who would help me out from that trouble.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Well, we learn from our mistakes and I was fortunate enough to learn from someone else's experience in a similar thread a couple years ago.

I keep a spare key safely tucked away in the engine bay - just the key, no FOB (get you in, but won't start the truck).

My 'actual' spare key (with the FOB) stays at home - safe and sound.

Hindsight is always 20/20 - it sucks to be stuck outside of your ride ....
Old 01-04-2020, 08:53 PM
JK Newbie

That's a great thing, if you learn from other's mistakes then i am sure you will not let that thing happen with you. Getting a spare key from a locksmith can save you in emergency door locking problems.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The wife and I both have a spare door key. I carry mine on my key ring in my pocket. I could see her locking her purse up along with the ignition key however. A spare door key under the hood is not a bad idea at all for us hard top owners. That is a very cheap solution. We charge $1.95 + Tax for a double cut key at the local hardware store.
NOTE for those who have never unlocked a Jeep using a key: My 2013 sets off the alarm any time it is unlocked with a key. Un-Chipped or Key Fob Key makes no difference. Just turn the Fobed Key on and off in the ignition to turn the alarm off. I have no idea if this works on other year models.

Bob R
Old 11-20-2021, 11:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Roach
NOTE for those who have never unlocked a Jeep using a key: My 2013 sets off the alarm any time it is unlocked with a key. Un-Chipped or Key Fob Key makes no difference. Just turn the Fobed Key on and off in the ignition to turn the alarm off. I have no idea if this works on other year models.
Bob R
Still the same for 2017 JKs

Quick Reply: locked keys in car