Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

List of my system upgrade + prices and impressions

Old 06-01-2012, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default List of my system upgrade + prices and impressions

I'm getting a Bazooka tube installed today which should be the full extent of my upgrades at the moment. I thought it might be helpful to make a list of everything I've put in for anyone considering upgrading their system.

I'm very very pleased with the performance of by Polk speakers. They are all marine grade and sound great. My only complaint would be lack of base. Even though they produce a decent amount of base I still feel as though it was lacking. I think the bass tube should solve that problem though. The high end produced by the Polk speakers is crystal clear. I went with the slim mount DB651 speakers in the dash. Looking back on it I would probably get the DXI651's or the regular DB651's just to get a bit more bass out of them.

The Sony head unit I got is perfect for me. It was reasonably priced and does everything I need. It has a fully customizable 7 band eq that really allows you to fine tune your sound. I also like the fact that it changes colors. That feature might seem a bit gimmicky but it's actually pretty fun.

I got the PAC interface adapters to simplify everything. I've heard of people not using them, but I preferred being able to hand everything to the installer and just letting him plugging the stuff in. I'm getting the steering wheel interface installed today so I'll update on that later.

I'll post a my impressions on the Bazooka tube later today after I get it installed. I'll also update after using it for a while and it gets a chance to break in. The 10250D is the 10" model with a built in 250 watt amp.

After everything is finished up I'll update the posts with a bunch of pictures, especially of the Bazooka Tube. I'm really happy with my upgrade and feel that it is an incredibly solid improvement for a relatively reasonable amount of money.

Up front:
Polk DB651S in the dash -- $100 Crutchfield
Polk DB1001 1" tweeters -- $50 Crutchfield (on sale)
Sony CDX-GT565UP -- $120 Crutchfield (came with everything to install)

Sound bar:
Polk DXI651 pair -- $100 Best Buy

Subwoofer:
Bazooka 10250D -- $260 Amazon
Rockford Fosgate 8 Guage wiring kit (for wiring the Bazooka tube) --- $40 Amazon

Interface adapters:
PAC SWI-PS (Steering wheel control adapter for Pioneer and Sony Head units) -- $40 Amazon
PAC C2R-CHY4 (Allows head unit to communicate with Jeep computer correctly) -- $60 Crutchfield (normally $120. Half off with HU purchase)

Insulation:
Poly fill -- $3 Hobby Lobby (Definitely recommend stuffing the boxes and sound bar with this)

Total $770 without install.
I think the suggested retail with all of the free install stuff I got from Crutchfield would be around $1200.

I got everything installed at my local BestBuy. I've really had a great experience there. I've always had the same guy for the installs and he does a great job. Installing everything probably cost around $250-300.

Last edited by shakeman0; 06-01-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Alright, I've had the Bazooka tube for a day now and it is awesome. I've really put it through quite a few tests and it's handled everything I've thrown at it. The bass will get loud enough to rock the jeep. It also handles tight bass really well. I have a friend with 2 12" kickers and he was blown away by the sound the bazooka produces too. I'd definitely recommend it.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:05 PM
JK Junkie

Glad to hear good reviews on the Bazooka. I've been really thinking about one when I get the money to upgrade my sounds.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear people complain about the lack of bass from the Polk DB651s, but this is EXACTLY why I bought and installed 4 of them in my JK, 2 in dash, 2 in sound bar. I didn't bother with components up front, just went with the DB651s and the DXI1000 tweets, which have in-line crossovers.

I have a Kicker Solo-Baric 12" that provides all the bass I need.

JVC KW-AVX800 Head Unit

I couldn't be happier with how it sounds, it's loud and crisp, even with the top off.

Quick Reply: List of my system upgrade + prices and impressions