Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Lighting Strategy

Old 05-16-2013, 02:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Septu
With an aux light, they should be shutoff whenever there's oncoming traffic. I turn my HIDs off the second I see headlights - regardless of how far away they are. And I get pissed when people don't turn their aux lights off when coming towards me. However a quick flick of my HIDs usually solves that problem

One of the draw backs to having lights overhead or on the window pillar is that they light up the hood. This causes glare and depending on how bright your lights are (my current pillar lights are 100w HIDs, old ones were 35w HIDs - both light up my hood and caused a ton of glare). When I had a rack on my XJ and the lights were on the rack, the glare wasn't really an issue (I don't remember it bothering me at all)... but the lights were mounted behind the cab, and the XJ was a dark color. Having the lights right above the window, I can't see them being that much different than lights on the pillar as I do now.

Having had two light colored jeeps (white and silver), glare is an issue. To the point where I weigh the benefits of having the lights vs how it bothers me... usually the lights win - but not always. I bought some black magnetic panels that cover the center part of the hood and I use these whenever I drive south (lots of night driving). They cut down the glare - but it's still there, and I still contemplate between using the lights and dealing with the glare, or not.

I guess my point is, from my personal experience, I'd be mounting the lights down low on the bumper (if possible) long before mounting them on the window pillar or a light bar. I've never once had an issue on the highway or on the trail regarding what I could/couldn't see.

I guess the other part of the equation is how bright your lights are. I've always used HIDs (and I'll never use a halogen light again). One of the draw backs to an HID is it's bright as fuck, and I'm assuming that will amplify whatever glare the hood gives off (when compared to a halogen light) due to the amount of light being put out. Maybe the glare a halogen light produces is tolerable... I'm honestly not sure, but then I'll never buy a halogen light to find out either.
I agree with what you say, except for the installation height. Aux lights for me are offroad lights.

Regardless of the location -- A pillar or light bar -- I'd aim them a bit higher, so they don't glare off the hood. Another option is improvising a horizontal plate just under the light, which will cast a shadow on the hood.

In any case, a light on the A pillar - below eye level - will make the hood cast a shadow on an area in front of the Jeep - area which is within view.
A light which is above eye level, allows lighting from the first inch we can see over the hood:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hood Glare.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	458587

I don't have aux lights yet... and manage pretty well with the stock lights... they aren't at the top of the priority list right now.
Next week I'll finally install Truck-Lite headlights.
Hopefully, I'll also get the Shrockworks rock sliders next week... so, in case I hit a rock I didn't see because there wasn't enough light...

Quick Reply: Lighting Strategy