Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Lightforce HID or halogen??

Old 11-20-2011, 08:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightforce HID or halogen??

Going with the 170's. Can't decide between the hid or halogen. These lights will be mounted to bumper and only used on back roads, wheeling, and bad weather. What's your guys/gals opinion?
Old 11-20-2011, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went with the HID's. Mostly because I feel they will last a long time, and put out the most light to energy ratio.
Just my opinion.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:09 AM
JK Freak

I've had the HID's for over a year and a half and have never had a problem with them and they throw out quite a bit of light

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0255.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	239335Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0280.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	239336Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1260.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	239337
Old 11-20-2011, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would suggest finding a better light. I'm running the 170 hid's and they are a big letdown for what they cost. They look good on the jeep and have tough housings but that is where the good stops. The reflectors are junk. My solstice pods beat the piss out of them for spread and useable output. Save your money and get something better.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ColdSRT
I would suggest finding a better light. I'm running the 170 hid's and they are a big letdown for what they cost. They look good on the jeep and have tough housings but that is where the good stops. The reflectors are junk. My solstice pods beat the piss out of them for spread and useable output. Save your money and get something better.
thats interesting, i just read a thread that zomeone swaped there kc slimlightes out for the 170 and were dissapointed that thier kc,s put out bette light
Old 11-20-2011, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Funny, I've tried PIAA and KC and found LightForce to out perform. Odd. Anywho... I'd go HID. I have a mix of 9 strikers up front and there is a definate performance gain using HID just as there is a place for each lens type... wide, spot, combo and dispersion.

Last edited by Langhorne; 11-20-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greenenvey

thats interesting, i just read a thread that zomeone swaped there kc slimlightes out for the 170 and were dissapointed that thier kc,s put out bette light
I really wanted to like them. They cost a lot and are by far the mod I regret the most. The base of their system has been done before and cheaper so I think they are overpriced based on the HID upgrade. The housings are my favorite part, look great and tough as hell. They fall way short in the lens department. You either get a small hotsot with them on spot and terrible maglight type artifacts and light gaps/holes when in flood.

My four solo pods easily outshine the two 170 HIDs. I compared them to the far cheaper o'reily brand hid's and the o'reily brand was a clear winner as far as useable light and focus. I do like hid lighting but it has to be focused right and the lightforce fails to do that IMHO.

Mine will be coming off as soon as I can afford the upgrade. If anyone out there thinks I'm wrong they can capitalize on my loss. They have been on under a year and used less than an hour total. Comes with clear and wide covers. $100 + shipping takes em. I'm not actively trying to sell them but $100 and I would be glad to get em off my jeep. Having paid over $500 for the pair should say a lot about the light.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:14 PM
JK Newbie

I agree with Echo. Go with the halogen. they will give you more light then you will ever need. I have 240's on the bumper and 170's on the windshield.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02836.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	239546Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02837.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	239547Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02842.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	239548Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02829.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	239549
Old 11-21-2011, 02:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by greenenvey
thats interesting, i just read a thread that zomeone swaped there kc slimlightes out for the 170 and were dissapointed that thier kc's put out bette light
Agreed. I swapped KC 8" long range for Lightforce and they're equal.

Visually it looks better to have the Lightforce 170 pods on the windshield and the giant 8" KCs on the bumper, but when turn them on/off, the light field is basically identical. Both are great, so matter of personal preference.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:06 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ColdSRT

I really wanted to like them. They cost a lot and are by far the mod I regret the most. The base of their system has been done before and cheaper so I think they are overpriced based on the HID upgrade. The housings are my favorite part, look great and tough as hell. They fall way short in the lens department. You either get a small hotsot with them on spot and terrible maglight type artifacts and light gaps/holes when in flood.

My four solo pods easily outshine the two 170 HIDs. I compared them to the far cheaper o'reily brand hid's and the o'reily brand was a clear winner as far as useable light and focus. I do like hid lighting but it has to be focused right and the lightforce fails to do that IMHO.

Mine will be coming off as soon as I can afford the upgrade. If anyone out there thinks I'm wrong they can capitalize on my loss. They have been on under a year and used less than an hour total. Comes with clear and wide covers. $100 + shipping takes em. I'm not actively trying to sell them but $100 and I would be glad to get em off my jeep. Having paid over $500 for the pair should say a lot about the light.
I'll gladly buy these for $100 if u are serious. I sent u a PM

Quick Reply: Lightforce HID or halogen??