Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Lightforce harness and carling switch light

Old 01-05-2011, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightforce harness and carling switch light

I've read tons about the Lightforce harness - based on my understanding -apparently because the supplied relay controls the ground connection, is it true that if I add a Carling switch (ARB, daystar,etc), i wont be able to get a light on the switch when it's in the off or on position? My plan is not to tap into the high beams.

Please correct me if I am wrong or if there is an alternate way to wire it with their harness.

Many thanks.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NormalJeep
I've read tons about the Lightforce harness - based on my understanding -apparently because the supplied relay controls the ground connection, is it true that if I add a Carling switch (ARB, daystar,etc), i wont be able to get a light on the switch when it's in the off or on position? My plan is not to tap into the high beams.

Please correct me if I am wrong or if there is an alternate way to wire it with their harness.

Many thanks.
How about cutting out the Lightforce relay. And installing an aftermarket. The light force relay may be polarity sensitive. Otherwise you could just simply swap your hot and ground wires on the Lightforce relay.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bump for the morning electricians and lightforce experts.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:48 AM
JK Junkie

Bump for the morning electricians and lightforce experts.
Didn't like my idea eh? Call Lightforce customer service and ask them if you can reverse the polarity on there harness! If they say YES, then I can walk you thru.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 01-06-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

JK Ford - I appreciate your idea, just used to seeing mutiple responses to the threads, when it comes to electrical I wanted to see what options were out there. I've seen some people say "You don't need a fuse or relay" (which I know is WRONG), so I just was soliciting more feedback.

I think I may call up their customer service, I am guessing this is why they don't provide a lighted switch with their set up.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:11 AM
JK Junkie

JK Ford - I appreciate your idea, just used to seeing mutiple responses to the threads, when it comes to electrical I wanted to see what options were out there. I've seen some people say "You don't need a fuse or relay" (which I know is WRONG), so I just was soliciting more feedback.

I think I may call up their customer service, I am guessing this is why they don't provide a lighted switch with their set up.

Thanks!
No problem man. Like you said though, this issue has been discussed. You may get a response on someone who has added an additional relay just for the switch. This would allow you to have your lighted switch and not do anything to the Lightforce harness. But it is also additional wiring.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:08 AM
JK Jedi

I know nothing about the Light Force harness as I didn't want to pay that kind of money for the thing. I used a radio shack relay, my own wires and a lighted switch. All's good....
Old 01-07-2011, 06:53 AM
JK Jedi

I think it was over $60 up here.....
Old 01-07-2011, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I must have gotten a good deal from Dave at Northridge, so I am going to try an use as much of the harness as possible. Thanks to JK Ford, I think we have the switch set up figured out as well. It's too effin cold to do any wiring this weekend, which is fine since my switch won't be here until early next week.

By early Feb, I should have these lights hooked up and the Duratracs and new wheels on, pics WILL be posted!
Old 01-07-2011, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

I installed a set of LightForce 170's using the LF harness and a different switch last weekend. I also tapped into the high beams. Here's the link:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...wiring-harness

My electrical knowledge is pretty limited, but I had no issues following the advice I got in the thread I linked above. I happen to think the LF harness is a wise investment for someone looking for an easy way to properly install these lights. However, down the road, I'd like to change my lighted on/off toggle switch to a three way on/off/on ARB style switch that will allow me to run with the 170's with the high beams, off, or "on" independently.

BTW, they're nearly as bright as the sun.

Last edited by matt33; 01-07-2011 at 04:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Lightforce harness and carling switch light