Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

light wiring

Old 01-10-2011, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default light wiring

i am wiring up a second set of ipf lights. my questions are as followed.

can i use the one switch for both set of lights, just jump off the switch wire?

the set that i have on now is jumped off my high beam wire, can i jump the second set off the wire that is attached to the high beam wire? everything else would have its own relay, fuses, and power wires

please advise
Old 01-10-2011, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

the new set of lights needs a relay, just like the first set did. but you can tap the existing wire to turn on that relay.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Scootersjk
light wiring

i am wiring up a second set of ipf lights. my questions are as followed.

can i use the one switch for both set of lights, just jump off the switch wire?
Are you using relays? If so, then yes you can. One switch can power several relays.

the set that i have on now is jumped off my high beam wire, can i jump the second set off the wire that is attached to the high beam wire? everything else would have its own relay, fuses, and power wires
Are you just using the high beam wire to trigger a relay? Then yes you may. Be careful of the break over point for loading the circuit. The computer may think that there is a problem and shut the circuit down.
FYI; You can make the trigger jumpers at the relay. You do not have to run a second wire back to the switch or the high beam circuit.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

yes i am using relays, can i also jump off the samie high beam wire????
Old 01-11-2011, 02:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i also have a few questions;
im going to be installing the mbrp light rack (above windshield) and will be adding 5 more 6" KC daylighters
-i already have two 8" KC's and two 6" KC's
--am i going to need to run dual batteries or will i be fine just hooking them up to a fuse?
Old 01-11-2011, 02:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootersjk
yes i am using relays, can i also jump off the samie high beam wire????
Probably. Relays don't draw much power. But some systems are more sensitive than others. I'd say give it a try.

Originally Posted by rkm12593
i also have a few questions;
im going to be installing the mbrp light rack (above windshield) and will be adding 5 more 6" KC daylighters
-i already have two 8" KC's and two 6" KC's
--am i going to need to run dual batteries or will i be fine just hooking them up to a fuse?
Well knowing the wattage ratings would help. But I think that you are headed towards a dual battery with that much candlepower. I'm sure that "Benchmark" could help you out. http://www.benchmarkdesigns.com/

Quick Reply: light wiring