Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Light mod need helps

Old 08-12-2010, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Light mod need helps

So I'm putting in some interior lights and I already have a power source and ground planned, but I'm not sure how to wire in a switch turn turn the lights on as I wish. I wiring schematic or a detailed explanination would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RED_RUBI_07
So I'm putting in some interior lights and I already have a power source and ground planned, but I'm not sure how to wire in a switch turn turn the lights on as I wish. I wiring schematic or a detailed explanination would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.
Are you wanting to just wire them to a switch or wire them so they come on with the dome light and a switch?
Old 08-12-2010, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd like to do both. Under chassis lights that go on with the domes but also go on with a switch and no domes. What do you think? Can I do that?
Old 08-12-2010, 12:28 PM
JK Freak

In my JK I don't have lights that are connected to both so I've never wired it that way. There is a thread on rock lights that show how to wire using a diode which allows you to use a switch and the dome light. Check it out

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...sy+rock+lights
Old 08-12-2010, 12:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Double Throw/Double Pole switch. You would connect both outputs together to the light. On one side use a tap from the dome light to power it. On the other side connect to a constant hot or ignition switched power osurce. Position one: Does what the dome light does. Off is off.. Position two: On and Off with the key or always on depending on power source.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I splicing a light source into a wire that is hooked to the dimmer switch(+) and a ground wire(-). I just don't understand how to hook up the (+) (-) to the switch. I have a three prong switch •-earth (ground I'm guessing)
•-LED (lights positive prong?)
•-supply (positive wire splice)
Any ideas, comments or questions?
Old 08-12-2010, 05:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Earlier reply was to MontaukRubi.

RED_RUBI_07: The wiring you asked about looks right. If the switch does not light up, swap the SUPPLY and LED wires. If you are unsure just do not connect GROUND to the switch. That will only prevent the switch from ever lighting up. The lights (Load) should work though.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

couldn't you just wire in the switch parallel to the dome dimmer?

Thinking about it, that would just bypass the dimmer, and when you hit the switch it would turn the dome light on as well.

Last edited by hx15537; 08-13-2010 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by hx15537
couldn't you just wire in the switch parallel to the dome dimmer?

Thinking about it, that would just bypass the dimmer, and when you hit the switch it would turn the dome light on as well.
That's why I suggested and used a DPDT switch. One side uses the dome/dimmer as a source. The other side uses a constant or ignition switched as a source.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Vernnz
That's why I suggested and used a DPDT switch. One side uses the dome/dimmer as a source. The other side uses a constant or ignition switched as a source.
I agree w/vernnz...I believe his solution would be the simplest and would accomplish what you want. doesnt sound like the switch you have is double pole/double throw (DPDT)

Quick Reply: Light mod need helps