Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Light help please

Old 12-17-2010, 09:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light help please

The guy at auto zone said when I was hooking up my lights to use a meter? Do I really need to go out and buy one? I have all the parts I need to install the lights the original factory harness, the lights, 40 amp relay, terminal ends, and connectors and electrical tape and the wire stripper/cutter and something to crimp it down tight . The instructions for the lights don't Say anything about a meter, also where do i connect the positive end for the switch, people said cig lighter but is the any other place that will be easier to connect it to?

Thanks
Old 12-17-2010, 10:19 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Riptide
No. If you hook up the power to the wrong source (for the switch) it just won't work.

Depends on how you want to use the lights. For switched power? People seem to like the cig lighter. But you could use any switched power. I went directly to the battery.
I want to be able to use them independently from all the lights which I think is the easiest way to wire it how do I do that is that to wire the switch straight to the battery? Would i need to buy an in line fuse if i wanted to go that route?
Old 12-18-2010, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just curious, does everyone use an inline fuse when wiring directly from the battery to the switch inside? Placing the fuse closest to the battery?

Reason I ask is that a long time ago I experienced a spike in battery output. The hot wire i ran inside the cab burnt to a crisp and burnt my carpet almost setting fire to the car I was in.

Would hate that to happen to any one of us.

Cheers!
Old 12-18-2010, 05:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I used a fuse tap and wired the switch from the fuse box. It worked great, and the lights work if the key in the ignition is turned to "on."
Old 12-18-2010, 11:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hooked mine into the Fuse box in postion M8 or M9. Both are for heated seats.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:59 PM
JK Junkie

So I can hook my switch power to the power from the battery at the line from the relay to battery? As long as I use an fuse holder and fuse?
Old 12-18-2010, 02:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by matt852
So I can hook my switch power to the power from the battery at the line from the relay to battery? As long as I use an fuse holder and fuse?
Yes you can. But that is not the best way to do it. If the switch is powered directly from the battery. You will be able to run your lights even if the Jeep is not on. You should use an accessory power source for the switch power. Something like the M8 fuse holder in the fuse box ( just like "drumnatural" said ). Or the cig lighter power supply.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:07 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Yes you can. But that is not the best way to do it. If the switch is powered directly from the battery. You will be able to run your lights even if the Jeep is not on. You should use an accessory power source for the switch power. Something like the M8 fuse holder in the fuse box ( just like "drumnatural" said ). Or the cig lighter power supply.
Ok how do I use the fuse holder do I need to buy some type of adapter? Or I think the Cig lighter will be easier and I won't have to buy anything else what color is the wire for the cig lighter that I tap?

Last edited by matt852; 12-18-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by matt852
Ok how do I use the fuse holder do I need to buy some type of adapter?
You can purchase a "fuse tap" @ your local automotive store. I used a male spade wire connector. Just look at a spare fuse! Then just iimitate the spade on the fuse. Make sure that you place a fuse on this new circuit?
Old 12-18-2010, 03:26 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
You can purchase a "fuse tap" @ your local automotive store. I used a male spade wire connector. Just look at a spare fuse! Then just iimitate the spade on the fuse. Make sure that you place a fuse on this new circuit?
Do I have to put a fuse between the relay and the battery?

Quick Reply: Light help please