Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

LED Rock Lights

Old 03-03-2013, 06:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LED Rock Lights

Need help trying to decide which way to go with some LED rock/ground lights. I was pretty set on installing 8 Rigid tri-plex A-series, but the price swayed me to look at other options. Anyone ever run a tube-style underbody/rock light kit on their jeep? Any issues?

I've seen some video of the Vision X tantrums, and like some of the features it has (color change/strobing stuff for the parades/shows/runs, etc), but they have pretty mixed reviews for durability and not really liking the dot appearance on the ground instead of dispersed light, like they are over focused. You get a lot for the price though.

I've started looking at white/color changing LED underbody kit like you'd see on an import tuner (Varad ULX330) that a friend recommeded. I think these would throw a good amount of light on the ground and still have some of the gimmick features for parades/runs...and the price is right. He's run a set on his Celica for years without any issue.

Just seeing if anyone else has run underbody lights on a Jeep and if they would throw enough light for rock lights as well. Pics/vids if you have them please!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Installed the tantrums in fall last year...Right now not working - not sure what's wrong...
I guess the elements of winter does not agree with lights...I'll see what up in the springtime...
Old 03-04-2013, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm new to the JK side, coming from a WK Grand Cherokee. I know a guy that did a similar install on his WK. He made an awesome write up on it. It probably wouldn't be an exact step by step for the JK, but may give you some ideas..? HERE it is.

Last edited by Ryan0260; 03-04-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:33 AM
JK Super Freak

I had a set of the tube style LEDs under a silverado for like three years with zero issues. If its really dark out then the light output is plenty if you have a white setting.

Quick Reply: LED Rock Lights