Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

LED rear turn signal replacement problem

Old 10-06-2019, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED rear turn signal replacement problem

I decided to replace the rear turn signal incandescent lamps/bulbs on my 2013 Sport JK with LED’s. I’ve tried two different brands, but I don’t have the boxes with me as I write this. I had the same problem with both types, however. I get the rapid flashing and warning that the signal isn’t working.

I’m thinking that the LED’s have different resistance than incandescent and that is triggering a “false” reading.

Im figuring somebody else has had this happen. I’d appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jstrawsburg@gmail.com
I decided to replace the rear turn signal incandescent lamps/bulbs on my 2013 Sport JK with LED’s. I’ve tried two different brands, but I don’t have the boxes with me as I write this. I had the same problem with both types, however. I get the rapid flashing and warning that the signal isn’t working.

I’m thinking that the LED’s have different resistance than incandescent and that is triggering a “false” reading.

Im figuring somebody else has had this happen. I’d appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.
It's common from what I can tell as the hyper flash was the automakers way of letting you know you have a bulb out. You're correct in regards to the computer not seeing the LED, hence the rapid flashing. Same issue is present in Harleys when you lose the incandescent bulbs in favor of LED's, and in that situation we'd add a load equalizer, which basically tricks the computer into seeing the load the original bulbs had.

A quick Google search yielded a bunch of options:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...talled-339101/

https://www.extremeterrain.com/poiso...s-0717-jk.html

https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-Equa...0375045&sr=8-1
Old 10-06-2019, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

Jordy, thanks very much! I figured I might need some resistance creating device. I’ll order one of the ones you sent links for.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

jordy has it right! Good luck
Old 10-14-2019, 05:51 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks everyone for the help. I bought Phillips canbus 21w warning canceling resistors. The connections are simple with just clips that pierce the wires (easy for anybody....,but I always am skeptical of those) but mounting the metal housing that the resistors are embedded in is not clear. They need to be mounted against metal acting as a heat sink, and there are small cable ties and metallic single sided tape. They need to be mounted at least an inch from plastic inside the body panel. I cannot find any decent instructions from Phillips, and the YouTube videos don’t have much comparison to the JK. I want to complete this job in one session especially with the connectors being a hard to reverse step. Anybody do this job yet and have a recommendation? Again, I appreciate the help in advance!

Quick Reply: LED rear turn signal replacement problem