Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

LED Light Bar vs LED Circle Lights

Old 02-10-2015, 12:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LED Light Bar vs LED Circle Lights

Before discussing the matter at hand, let's keep the; "check other thread', "do some forum searches", or "this has been discussed before" to a minimum, because sometimes matters need to be freshly rebooted for new members of the forum.

I am looking into LED auxiliary lights for my 14' JK, and am considering a couple of options. I am fully willing and knowingly joining the LED bandwagon, but have not committed to joining the "light bar" bandwagon.

Here is some information on when, where, and what the lights will be used for:

Mounting point: Front bumper bull bar (aftermarket with mounting points).
Purpose: Forest fire roads.
Price Point: As stated below with my current option, I'm looking to stay under $400.
Needs: As much throw as possible.

My current decision: I have always been a fan of KC HiLites, because of their performance and nostalgia, and I am leaning towards a pair of KC Hilites 644 6" Pro-Sport Series LED Driving Lights. It is my understanding that these lights only put out 20W each, but the way the reflector is designed, is that they will throw the light to the same amount, if not further, then let's say a 90W light bar. Because these lights have not clearly been discussed in another forum, nor any real examples, can someone please be friendly and provide this information?

This brings me to the title contemplation, "LED Light Bar vs LED Circle Lights". How would these low watt circle LED lights compare to a, let's say, 15 inch 90W light bar? I will be installing the lights myself, so "plug-n-play" would be a plus. Any advice on auxiliary lighting (with my price point, and mounting location) is greatly appreciated.

Don't forget to reference my current interest (KC 6" Circle LED).
Old 02-10-2015, 01:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you looking for a spot beam or a flood beam? I have the 130w KC slimline on my windshield in the spot beam and they have been great, plus a great warranty.

The LED light bars can also throw a ton of light and can be a combo beam for flood and spot.

It's probably going to come down more to personal preference due to there being so many options out there. In the LED world the first to come to mind is clearly Rigid, but KC is now making many LED products if you would like to remain brand specific.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LED bars are very bright in the immediate area, but some of those numbers can be misleading sometimes. If you're looking for lighting up a long ways, those LED Pro Sports are good. If you have a set of old Daylighters laying around, you can put the LED inserts KC sells for $220 on Amazon in. I just did this to a pair I got off Craigslist for $30. So I saved about $100 for the same lights. I'm waiting on new windshield brackets because the bolt on these is longer than my old 5 inch Apollos. They're temporarily installed on the brackets where my fender used to be. They have a very bright and concentrated spot beam.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150210_081619.jpg
Views:	658
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	596221
Old 02-10-2015, 04:56 AM
Former Vendor

If you are looking for any type of LED auxiliary lights check out our website. Also all lights come with plug and play wiring! Thanks.

www.offroadadditions.com
Old 02-10-2015, 09:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
Are you looking for a spot beam or a flood beam? I have the 130w KC slimline on my windshield in the spot beam and they have been great, plus a great warranty.

The LED light bars can also throw a ton of light and can be a combo beam for flood and spot.

It's probably going to come down more to personal preference due to there being so many options out there. In the LED world the first to come to mind is clearly Rigid, but KC is now making many LED products if you would like to remain brand specific.
I "think" i'm looking for flood. Those slims are not LED correct? I am for sure going with LED.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Off Road Additions - Dan
If you are looking for any type of LED auxiliary lights check out our website. Also all lights come with plug and play wiring! Thanks.

Off Road Additions
Y'all running any JK-Forum deals on A Pillar Light Brackets (Pair) - Off Road Additions LLC ?
Old 02-10-2015, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ChairRepairHeatnAir
LED bars are very bright in the immediate area, but some of those numbers can be misleading sometimes. If you're looking for lighting up a long ways, those LED Pro Sports are good. If you have a set of old Daylighters laying around, you can put the LED inserts KC sells for $220 on Amazon in. I just did this to a pair I got off Craigslist for $30. So I saved about $100 for the same lights. I'm waiting on new windshield brackets because the bolt on these is longer than my old 5 inch Apollos. They're temporarily installed on the brackets where my fender used to be. They have a very bright and concentrated spot beam.

Attachment 596221
Thanks for the help. I will definitely keep an eye out for some used daylighters. If I were to mount a pair on my bumper, and also on my A Pillar, which should hold the spot, and which should hold the flood?
Old 02-10-2015, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tannasaurus_rex

Thanks for the help. I will definitely keep an eye out for some used daylighters. If I were to mount a pair on my bumper, and also on my A Pillar, which should hold the spot, and which should hold the flood?
Spots are better up higher. Especially on the pillar. Floods will bounce a lot of light off of the hood there. Floods also come in different angles too, depending on the manufacturer. Most will be somewhere between 30° and 90°. The cubes I got on my bumper from Inspired Engineering are 90° floods and light up everything in front of my Jeep, but not very far ahead.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rex, mine are not LED. I would be thrilled if KC made an LED slimlite but i believe the only have the daylighter conversions spoken about above.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:36 PM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-448506557.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	596299

I bought a set of these and wired to high beam. Have had for 6 mos now and other than the red being pink. No issues. They are 72 watt 7" they light up very well and match the jeep look being round. You have to search for price and warranty. They range from 125/pr and up. And a 1 year to 2 yr warranty. Get black though red fades quickly

Quick Reply: LED Light Bar vs LED Circle Lights