Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

LED or HID for Windshield Lights?

Old 03-27-2013, 11:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by knight1000
I think those pics from kojack make his point pretty well. I dont need that much distance for what I do and where I go, but some how I still want them. Maybe Ill look into some for my 520 PIAA on the bumper.
Knight, I can say with some certainty that I love my lights for every situation, and they don't break the bank. My setup cost less than half of what a set of 520s cost here.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:55 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jeepjkgrrl
i wouldnt wast your money unless you are doing it to say u spend hundreds on lights. if you go wheeling you will have branchs and trees hitting them, and if you break them u loss. i would stick with H4 bulbs and simple hella slim lite. about 120 bucks or u can buy the cheap LEDS on ebay and have the look and it may work well. If you dont do night wheeling i wouldnt spend the money.
My lights have been on 3 rigs. Never have had a Lens break, etc. My housings were 80 bucks, and my hid system was another 55. Hardly breaking the bank considering the performance.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bumping this old thread. I finally got all my lights in, mounted and wired up. I went with a spot/flood combo 20" led bar on the front bumper. And a set of HID's for the A pillars. I love the setup but am having a problem with one of the HID's. I've had them on for a few days now, and last night I was out tweaking the aim a bit. I had the HID's on, switched them off, then back on. The passenger side came on for a second, flickered, and then went out. I haven't been able to get it back on since. This morning I checked the connections, and everything looked good. Both lights are grounded in the same spot, and the driver side still works, so that doesn't seem to be the issue. I unhooked the passenger side light (the one not working) and hooked a wire straight from the light, to the battery. These lights have an internal ballast, so being hooked straight to the battery should have fired the light. This is how I hooked them up when I first got them to test and make sure they work, and they did. So my only guess is that the internal ballast has failed. Any other ideas? I contacted the place I bought them and am waiting to see what they say. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Kojack
Another.

Originally Posted by Kojack
...My hid work great with my high beams, and my hella fogs work great with my low beam and stock fogs in snow. This coming from lots of night time driving experience.

Shot of hella 500s with 55w 4300k hid installed.

Hi Jeepers, I just wanted to mention this picture isn't of converted Hella 500's on a Jeep, but in fact Hella 700FF's on a 4Runner (but it should have been obvious, does that look like a JK hood to you?). I know this, because it's my picture; our mutual friend Kojack is misrepresenting it. This picture shows the final install beam pattern of a set of Hella 700FF's I converted to 55W HID using a DDM kit with 5000K bulbs.

I've found this picture or the 3-shot Lo/Hi/HID shots cross-posted on several forums which is cool usually (Google search by image), but I noticed Kojack here has been posting it as a set of 500's, so I figured I'd set the record straight.

Anyone who's interested in reading a little more about the conversion can see it here: Converting Hella 700FF's to 55W HID

Cheers.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:37 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mastacox

Hi Jeepers, I just wanted to mention this picture isn't of converted Hella 500's on a Jeep, but in fact Hella 700FF's on a 4Runner (but it should have been obvious, does that look like a JK hood to you?). I know this, because it's my picture; our mutual friend Kojack is misrepresenting it. This picture shows the final install beam pattern of a set of Hella 700FF's I converted to 55W HID using a DDM kit with 5000K bulbs.

I've found this picture or the 3-shot Lo/Hi/HID shots cross-posted on several forums which is cool usually (Google search by image), but I noticed Kojack here has been posting it as a set of 500's, so I figured I'd set the record straight.

Anyone who's interested in reading a little more about the conversion can see it here: Converting Hella 700FF's to 55W HID

Cheers.
See other thread.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ItsMeKO3
Hey guys. I'm trying to decide what way to go with my lighting upgrades. I'm planning on putting on some windshield lights, and an LED bar on the front bumper. I plan on doing spot/driving lights for the windshield and a flood for the LED bar. My question is what would you guys recommend for the windshield? HIDs or LEDs? As much as I'd like them, I can't afford anything super expensive like Rigids. So whatever I go with will be a less expensive version. Thanks for any input.

Go with the LEDS: they are bright as the sun and will last at least 50,000 hours.

They put out a good light and look great.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am going with the same combo as the original poster. Hella driving lights with the HID (55W 4300) and going just a little smaller on a 10" Rigid single row flood on a Poison Spyder hawse fairlead mount.

Hopefully this will give me the distance and flood coverage I am looking for.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm the OP. I may have already posted this, but I went with 4" HID on the windshield, and a 20" combo LED bar on the bumper. Gives great coverage near and far. I'm super happy with it.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ItsMeKO3
I'm the OP. I may have already posted this, but I went with 4" HID on the windshield, and a 20" combo LED bar on the bumper. Gives great coverage near and far. I'm super happy with it.
which 4" hid? I've been swayed away from leds on the windshield by this thread.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put 4" HID X's on the windshield and love them. I'll probably put a set on the bumper in time.

Quick Reply: LED or HID for Windshield Lights?