Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

LED or HID for Windshield Lights?

Old 03-21-2013 | 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
Ok. even with deep reflectors, the piaa LED lights do NOT light up as good as HID. LED is not up to the long distance task yet. great for short distance, and visual lights like brake, etc....NOT GOOD for long range lights. I wish they would get the color temp of the lights to 4300K as well, I hate any tinge of blue in my lights. thats reduction in light output and perceived light projection. 4300K is the sweet spot and where all factory HID lights are.
I agree. It's hard to beat an HID setup for maximum light output and range...
Old 03-22-2013 | 01:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260

I agree. It's hard to beat an HID setup for maximum light output and range...
Hard to beat for anything regarding forward lighting. For everything else, led is awesome. I am getting the led reverse bulbs, and when I get my vector spare tire rack, I am mounting led lights for reverse lights. But, for seeing and driving in the night, nothing beats hid.
Old 03-22-2013 | 05:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once again thanks for all the input guys. I've decided I'm going to go with HID spot lights for the windshield, and an LED bar flood pattern for the bumper. Should give a nice combo.
Old 03-22-2013 | 05:51 AM
JK Freak

At the end of the day, our stock headlight foglight combo alone sucks. A pair of anything will improve our visibility. I couldnt imagine driving back to camp in the rain at night without something to help illuminate the mountain trails. Lights for me are an investment in my hobby and family fun time, so careful thought was both needed and fun. Glad I had this forum to learn the pros and cons of all my choices.

Night pictures of the road ahead are always great too.
Old 03-22-2013 | 06:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by knight1000
At the end of the day, our stock headlight foglight combo alone sucks. A pair of anything will improve our visibility. I couldnt imagine driving back to camp in the rain at night without something to help illuminate the mountain trails. Lights for me are an investment in my hobby and family fun time, so careful thought was both needed and fun. Glad I had this forum to learn the pros and cons of all my choices.

Night pictures of the road ahead are always great too.
Pictures do not tell the story. I agree tho, something extra is better than nothing. My choice was a safety matter over looks, watt/amp draw or cool factor. I picked what I knew would light up and cut through the dark best to see the animals on the highways here. Then I added a set of yellow hella 450 fog to cut through the pea soup fog we get here. I would love to be a product tester, we have the harshest conditions here.
Old 03-22-2013 | 06:34 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ItsMeKO3
Once again thanks for all the input guys. I've decided I'm going to go with HID spot lights for the windshield, and an LED bar flood pattern for the bumper. Should give a nice combo.
Give us an update on how it performs.
Old 03-22-2013 | 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

This sounds like a good choice.
Old 03-24-2013 | 04:33 AM
JK Newbie

I know you have already made your choice and its a great one but I am posting for the these pics of my leds and website for others that might want other options.

I had 2 of these on a light bar bracket on the hood but I moved them to the window frame light bar because I put a high lift there instead. I then added 3 more on the window frame light bar. These things are bright. Sorry for the quality of the pic but it shows the 2 led lights on the hood mounted light bar. This pic is old also.

Click image for larger version

Name:	XX-D5D5F7B7-1449782-1280-100.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	437544

These are the ones I am running and there are more selections on their site. Not trying to promote them, just giving options.

http:// www.ddmtuning.com/Products/FX-Off-Road-Lamp

Have good en!

Last edited by Ryan0260; 03-24-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-25-2013 | 07:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well personally I live in a rural area, waaaayyyy out in the middle of no where. I run a lot of back roads late at night, and there are tons of critters, deer and bigfoots (lol not really) that love to run into the road. So I know its not legal but I use my lights in this case also. I'm may catch shit for this, but I am very careful and sure not to blind other people lol.
I wonder why should the lights be strong enough to spot deer ...or bigfoots... from a Mile away (presuming the road is straight and flat for a Mile).
The stronger the light is, the blinder one is regarding everything out of the lighted area. With very strong lights, the chance to see an animal that enters the trail or road at close distance is slimmer.

Last edited by GJeep; 03-25-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-25-2013 | 09:22 AM
JK Junkie

the further off you can see them, the more time you have to react, and know they are there. I see the ditches right off the corners of the jeep with my lights right up to about 1200m...with usable light. gives me reaction time. like I said, I have hit one moose, with those shitty blue lights. Never again...I run bright stuff now...not crap that "looks" cool.

Quick Reply: LED or HID for Windshield Lights?