Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

LED or HID for Windshield Lights?

Old 03-14-2013, 01:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a combo of both... had all led, four 4" led lights. now I have. two 7" HIDs on my bumper and two 4" LEDs on my windshield. The HIDs project and the LEDs wash out. Works well for me.

Last edited by Bmagaha88; 03-14-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmagaha88
I use a combo of both... had all led, four 4" led lights. now I have. two 7" HIDs on my bumper and two 4" LEDs on my windshield. The HIDs project and the LEDs wash out. Works well for me.
The ideal setup. Led for close in illumination, hid for LNG distance lighting.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

I've put a pair of KC Daylighter on my a-pillars. I bought a H3 hid kit with ultra slim ballasts on ebay for cheap and threw them into the KCs. The ballasts and all additional wiring fitted well between the reflector and the housing.
This way I have very powerfull hids for cheap :-)
Old 03-14-2013, 06:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ItsMeKO3
Hey guys. I'm trying to decide what way to go with my lighting upgrades. I'm planning on putting on some windshield lights, and an LED bar on the front bumper. I plan on doing spot/driving lights for the windshield and a flood for the LED bar. My question is what would you guys recommend for the windshield? HIDs or LEDs? As much as I'd like them, I can't afford anything super expensive like Rigids. So whatever I go with will be a less expensive version. Thanks for any input.
What sort of headlamps your running? HID and halogen don't mix well IMO. I have HID on the bumper and 100w headlamps. The halogen headlamps are much more responsive when you turn them on and off. Cheapo HID conversion in the HELLA's on the bumper can be finicky, but are very bright when on. Since the two are different colors of light they don't complement each other well.
How well will LED's help out your headlights? I don't know.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:57 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bbrown626

What sort of headlamps your running? HID and halogen don't mix well IMO. I have HID on the bumper and 100w headlamps. The halogen headlamps are much more responsive when you turn them on and off. Cheapo HID conversion in the HELLA's on the bumper can be finicky, but are very bright when on. Since the two are different colors of light they don't complement each other well.
I am running the hid in my hella housings. With 4300k 55w hid units, they respond great to my high beam switch. On initial fire up there is about a three second warm up, after that, its instant. With regards to "matching" you high beams, once my hella lights are on, you don't see the high beam lights. I'm guessing your used to seeing 6000k hid lights which are stupid blue. Horrible lighting. 4300k are white and brighter than the 6000k. My hid are not finicky at all.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:21 AM
JK Newbie

Default HID vs LED's

I wonder if anyone is quite as ridiculous as me, I am currently running 8K HID's headlights in factory housing. Seeing as I live in rural NV it is GREAT! 12-20 second visibility in "country dark" conditions. However, what type of aux lights would be of any help for night/ low light use? I was considering putting 4, 7" HID's rated at 6K. Any thoughts?
Old 03-15-2013, 02:28 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry, amateur moment.

Last edited by MamazJK; 03-15-2013 at 02:30 AM. Reason: accidental duplication
Old 03-15-2013, 04:06 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by MamazJK
I wonder if anyone is quite as ridiculous as me, I am currently running 8K HID's headlights in factory housing. Seeing as I live in rural NV it is GREAT! 12-20 second visibility in "country dark" conditions. However, what type of aux lights would be of any help for night/ low light use? I was considering putting 4, 7" HID's rated at 6K. Any thoughts?
If you swap the horrible 8000k lights for 4300k you will have a significant increase in light output. And its probably cheaper to pick up two hella 500 kits and load them with 55w 4300k his and have amazing light.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bbrown626
Right now all of my lighting is stock. But I'm thinking about putting in a 35w 4300K or 5000K HID kit. Then adding the windshield lights, and the LED bar on the bumper. I'm going to go with a flood pattern LED bar, and probably HID spot beam windshield lights.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:01 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ItsMeKO3

Right now all of my lighting is stock. But I'm thinking about putting in a 35w 4300K or 5000K HID kit. Then adding the windshield lights, and the LED bar on the bumper. I'm going to go with a flood pattern LED bar, and probably HID spot beam windshield lights.
Drop the idea of hid in the headlights. The glare that comes from them in rain, fog and snow will blind you. I took them out because of this. Great on clear nights, absolute crap in anything else. Plus the flicker will drive you batty.

Quick Reply: LED or HID for Windshield Lights?