Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

LED or HID for Windshield Lights?

Old 10-23-2013, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by etl330

which 4" hid? I've been swayed away from leds on the windshield by this thread.
I've got the 4"HIDx as well. They are awesome!
Old 10-23-2013, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kaffeene
I put 4" HID X's on the windshield and love them. I'll probably put a set on the bumper in time.
My old jeep is still running the 4" HIDx lights I bought 5 years ago. My buddy is quite happy with them.

Originally Posted by jeepjkgrrl
i wouldnt wast your money unless you are doing it to say u spend hundreds on lights. if you go wheeling you will have branchs and trees hitting them, and if you break them u loss. i would stick with H4 bulbs and simple hella slim lite. about 120 bucks or u can buy the cheap LEDS on ebay and have the look and it may work well. If you dont do night wheeling i wouldnt spend the money.
We have lots of tree's up here. I've yet to break any of the many different HIDs I've tried.

Originally Posted by GJeep
At 80 mph, seeing a moose from 1,200m, gives 34 sec' for reaction -- much more than needed, and that much light blinds a driver from seeing an animal that jumps to the road much closer.

Over here, in the north, there are regions where wild boar cross roads. They can weigh 70+kg.
In the south (the Negev desert), Camels cross roads, and they're not smaller than moose.
Never had a problem of not seeing one in time, at 50~60MPH, with the stock lights.
I intend to add lights, but certainly not too much lumen, which I find disturbing.
You're assuming that you actually see the animal when its that far away. I use my HIDs for on the highways up here at night (very remote, little traffic, lots of moose, buffalo, caribou, elk and deer). And it's less so that I can see the moose 1km away - because it's rare that you will, but more so so that I can see everything else. I like knowing that there's a turn/dip/bend/bump in the road up ahead. It makes for stress free driving. Our roads for the most part have had all the trees removed for about 20+ yrds on either side of the road. However there's almost always lots of shrubs that stand 2-4' tall. Just tall enough that animals are damn hard to see - especially as they're brown/black and blend in nicely with everything else at night.

Originally Posted by Andrewayne
Using hid lights or halogen LONG distance lights during OFF ROAD use? I completely agree that while driving at a high rate of speed it's important to see ahead for obstacles and or animals. But when can these lights be effective while trailing? I'm looking at purchasing lights for my jeep, and would love to hear some feed back before purchasing.
I'm sure this was answered, but I'll chime in anyway. The joys of HIDs is they do both (depending on the beam pattern). You'll get the distance you want, but with the residual light that is there, you'll see everything up close as well. The only downside to running them on the trail, is you're going to blind the fuck out of the guy in front of you. And if you need a spotter to navigate something, you'll almost certainly have to turn them off. Although from pictures I've seen, you'd have to do the same with LEDs (D2s, etc).

For most people who don't (or can't) use their aux lights on the highways at night, long range HIDs are not a requirement. Up here they're more of a necessity. And while I'm a huge supporter of quality headlights (aka anything other than stock ones), proper auxiliary lighting setup to suite the needs of the driver makes a ton of sense - regardless of what that is (trails, back/rural roads, empty highways, etc). Besides... paying for a set of lights and avoiding 1 deer (let alone anything bigger) is cheaper than skipping out on the lights, and hitting the animal.

Quick Reply: LED or HID for Windshield Lights?