Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

LED headlight upgrade options

Old 02-07-2015, 09:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by any4xx
Funny, as my son in law has a 2012. Mine's a 2013. We installed the same TruckLites. His fit tight and mine rattled around like crazy. My bezels were absolutely lined up well so that the tabs sat down into the slots in the housings. All I can imagine is that Jeep used a headlamp with a thicker edge in the 2013, but there is no difference in part numbers. Weird.
Could just be manufacturing tolerances between the jeep and the Trucklite's being a little off. Mine is a 2014 with no problems. Thanks to the wonderful 30 degree heatwave today, I was able to get the horizontal adjuster screws installed, just need to go out and get them aimed... Looking forward to that!
Old 02-08-2015, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by neZZr
Could just be manufacturing tolerances between the jeep and the Trucklite's being a little off. Mine is a 2014 with no problems. Thanks to the wonderful 30 degree heatwave today, I was able to get the horizontal adjuster screws installed, just need to go out and get them aimed... Looking forward to that!
Okay... Dumb question: you say you installed horizontal adjuster screws. I didn't know there was a way to do that. I just turned the large nuts on the bottoms of the headlight buckets where they mount to the radiator support to get mine aimed properly. Is there a kit of some sort out there in the big world?
Old 02-08-2015, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by any4xx
Okay... Dumb question: you say you installed horizontal adjuster screws. I didn't know there was a way to do that. I just turned the large nuts on the bottoms of the headlight buckets where they mount to the radiator support to get mine aimed properly. Is there a kit of some sort out there in the big world?
Just go to the dealer and order two adjuster screws, about $5 for two. If you search here, you'll find the part number.

Then, pull the buckets out but unscrewing both mounting posts and the vertical adjuster. Wiggle the inside lower mounting screw until it pops out. Just look at the new screws you bought, and you can tell how they're held in there. Then snap in the new screws and put everything back together. If you look at the grille, there are indentations where the adjuster screws should be, if jeep had installed them from the factory.

It's a pain in the butt for sure, but now you can adjust them both vertically and horizontally without taking the grill off or yanking the headlights... They way it should have come from the factory. Definitely worth doing if you're going to spend several hundred on new lights.

As an alternative, you could just cut a notch in the tip mounting post with a Dremel to make it adjustable with a flat screw driver, and save $5 and some time.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by neZZr
Just go to the dealer and order two adjuster screws, about $5 for two. If you search here, you'll find the part number. Then, pull the buckets out but unscrewing both mounting posts and the vertical adjuster. Wiggle the inside lower mounting screw until it pops out. Just look at the new screws you bought, and you can tell how they're held in there. Then snap in the new screws and put everything back together. If you look at the grille, there are indentations where the adjuster screws should be, if jeep had installed them from the factory. It's a pain in the butt for sure, but now you can adjust them both vertically and horizontally without taking the grill off or yanking the headlights... They way it should have come from the factory. Definitely worth doing if you're going to spend several hundred on new lights. As an alternative, you could just cut a notch in the tip mounting post with a Dremel to make it adjustable with a flat screw driver, and save $5 and some time.
Aah. I searched a bit and found them. Would have been a nice find before I spent a week taking the headlamps in and out to get them pointed properly. But now that I already have them aimed right I guess I'll just leave them alone. But good to know for the future.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:36 PM
JK Newbie

Now that I finally have the lights properly adjusted, I have to add that it makes all the difference in the world! After I installed the Trucklite's I wasn't super impressed, but my jeep was extremely cross-eyed. Once I straightened that out, I'm very, very happy with them. If you haven't checked your horizontal aim, do yourself a huge favor and do it. It's worth the time spent.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:56 PM
JK Newbie

Lifetime Headlight LEDS do not waste your time or money. I am on my 3rd set of Lifetime Headlight LEDS. First set did not fit and I had to send them back for the correct set. Second set lasted 3 days and the left LED went up in smoke. YES, UP IN SMOKE because ballast burnt up and I thought my factory headlight wiring harness was burning. Also the right LED started to flicker and sent both LEDS back to for another set. The 3rd set the left LED started to flicker and went out. So I pulled them out and going to send them back for a refund or credit. I replaced them with Sylvania ZXE Bulbs and work great with no problems.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen my buddy dump tons of money on all the major LED headlights out there just to be disappointed with their performance and the super bright non-DOT approved setups, only to be pulled over and get fix-it tickets. I went with the JW Speaker Evo 2 headlights with their new fogs and I cannot be happier. The light, once properly adjusted travels for what seems like miles. Being that they have a razor sharp cut-off line, you won't be that jack-ace blinding everyone on the road and when you fire up the high beams, you will see EVERYTHING!!! My buddy is now saving his money AGAIN, to buy a set of these. They are expensive but it's better to do spend a little more the first time than to keep spending half price 5 times over and over. I suggest JW Speaker, all the way.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:52 PM
JK Junkie

HID Projectors from theretrofitsource.com. can't be beat not even by JW Speaker.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Edited.

Last edited by bombout800; 04-21-2015 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very true, they are hard to beat at their price point.

Quick Reply: LED headlight upgrade options