Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

LED headlight upgrade options

Old 02-02-2015, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Life time LEDS warning

Hi, I too wanted to upgrade my head lights and I decided to get these:
Extremeterrain.com

http://www.extremeterrain.com/wrangl...-bulbs-07.html

I ordered the Lifetime H13 LED bulbs $150. And they are DOT compliant
while they are almost plug and play the connectors on my 2007 did not latch with the connecter on the new lights, so had to tie wire them together. then I found that my FM radio is completely wasted due to static from the Life time leds, as well as the MYGIG did alot when I turn the lights on, which really sucks for my nav unit!! I called LifeTime LED and for another $20.00 and $12.00 shipping I am getting a Anti Flicker Harness H13RH - $20.00 SKU: LLLH13rh, that may stop the interference but may not. And I thought about sending them back but Extreme has such a strict return policy and restocking fee that I don't want to spend yet more on these lights. So this is just a warning!! One about the LEDs and another about Extremeterrain.
Sorry if I sound a little dis hearted but well I am. I know you get what you pay for but $150.00 for a pair of head lights seems like quite a bit to me.
If it is any consolation the lights are brighter than the OE

Last edited by Highlander; 02-02-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bombout800
Can you post night time photos that closely represent what you see? The output photos I've seen don't seem to be very impressive. Could just be the pictures.
Can't post the link from my iPhone, I did a review on them with pics. Check the sponsoring manufacture page. Page 6 of ORA headlights has the link.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Highlander
Hi, I too wanted to upgrade my head lights and I decided to get these:
Extremeterrain.com

http://www.extremeterrain.com/wrangl...-bulbs-07.html

I ordered the Lifetime H13 LED bulbs $150. And they are DOT compliant
while they are almost plug and play the connectors on my 2007 did not latch with the connecter on the new lights, so had to tie wire them together. then I found that my FM radio is completely wasted due to static from the Life time leds, as well as the MYGIG did alot when I turn the lights on, which really sucks for my nav unit!! I called LifeTime LED and for another $20.00 and $12.00 shipping I am getting a Anti Flicker Harness H13RH - $20.00 SKU: LLLH13rh, that may stop the interference but may not. And I thought about sending them back but Extreme has such a strict return policy and restocking fee that I don't want to spend yet more on these lights. So this is just a warning!! One about the LEDs and another about Extremeterrain.
Sorry if I sound a little dis hearted but well I am. I know you get what you pay for but $150.00 for a pair of head lights seems like quite a bit to me.
If it is any consolation the lights are brighter than the OE
I have these. And they are great. Worth every penny.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150202_162023.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	594993  
Old 02-02-2015, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Good read

Originally Posted by neZZr
Heres a good recent comparison article. Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading and 4x4 website in the world.

I can't say that I totally agree with his opinion that JW Speaker has better output than the HID kit... but his pictures are very useful. He liked the Delta kit, but the IPF's are well respected by the TJ crowd too. Either would be a solid upgrade from stock, and can be found easily online at places like Amazon, Quadratec, etc.

I personally had great luck with the Cibié E-code housings as I mentioned, purchased from Daniel Stern. I have Trucklite's in my Jk now, but I'll reserve my own judgement on them until I get the horizontal aim sorted out. From the factory, the lights are aimed very cross-eyed.
Dang wish I would of done a little more research and also read this comparison before I spent $150.00 on the Lifetime leds!!!, oh well, I really do not do much night driving but if I did it is nice to see someone went through the trouble of doing a test on them!
Old 02-02-2015, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default great to hear

Originally Posted by Rbzak
I have these. And they are great. Worth every penny.
You have the Lifetime LED's? Glad to hear you like them, I think they will fill my needs as well..
Old 02-02-2015, 10:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JAM85
Can't post the link from my iPhone, I did a review on them with pics. Check the sponsoring manufacture page. Page 6 of ORA headlights has the link.
I absolutely love the look of these, but the beam pattern seem very skinny and the high beam(in the video) seem to not be soo great.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:02 PM
JK Newbie

I just upgraded my trucklites to the new heated version after having some trouble with icing over in heavy wet snow.

Last edited by relyt; 02-07-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

<snip> I'll reserve my own judgement on them until I get the horizontal aim sorted out. From the factory, the lights are aimed very cross-eyed.
That is a gross understatement. Mine were driving me crazy. I was really surprised at just how much horizontal adjustment they needed to get their respective "hot spots" pointing in the proper direction. I drive to work in the dark so my routine for a week was to note the horizontal offset then make adjustments when I got home at night. Once I got that sorted out, the vertical was just a matter of pointing them at the garage door. After about five tries I have them where they look right.

Then the thinner bezel was letting them move around in their mounts. I searched the world over looking for rubber o-rings to tighten them up. Then a few days ago it came to me to just put a coil of primary electrical wire inside the lip of each chrome retaining ring. Two short pieces of wire with an OD of about 9/32" was perfect. Now they're tight in the housings and aimed properly.

But what a lot of gyrating just to get real light....
Old 02-05-2015, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by any4xx
That is a gross understatement. Mine were driving me crazy. I was really surprised at just how much horizontal adjustment they needed to get their respective "hot spots" pointing in the proper direction. I drive to work in the dark so my routine for a week was to note the horizontal offset then make adjustments when I got home at night. Once I got that sorted out, the vertical was just a matter of pointing them at the garage door. After about five tries I have them where they look right. Then the thinner bezel was letting them move around in their mounts. I searched the world over looking for rubber o-rings to tighten them up. Then a few days ago it came to me to just put a coil of primary electrical wire inside the lip of each chrome retaining ring. Two short pieces of wire with an OD of about 9/32" was perfect. Now they're tight in the housings and aimed properly. But what a lot of gyrating just to get real light....
I haven't noticed any movement at all once they're tightened down... Though I did find it a bit fiddly to get the bezel to tighten down in exactly the right spot. The tabs where the screws are wanted to move out of position slightly, causing them to bend a bit as I tightened the screw. No big deal except then the ring isn't seated properly and could cause the lights to be loose in the mount. Just takes a little extra care to keep it lined up. Once I did that, I don't find any looseness at all.

As for the horizontal, it's driving me crazy too!! I have the adjuster screws, I just need the temperature to come up a bit so can can get it done. I may hook up he space heater and warm up my garage this weekend if I'm feeling extra motivated because I don't think I can wait another month or more for warmer temps.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't noticed any movement at all once they're tightened down... Though I did find it a bit fiddly to get the bezel to tighten down in exactly the right spot. The tabs where the screws are wanted to move out of position slightly, causing them to bend a bit as I tightened the screw. No big deal except then the ring isn't seated properly and could cause the lights to be loose in the mount. Just takes a little extra care to keep it lined up. Once I did that, I don't find any looseness at all. As for the horizontal, it's driving me crazy too!! I have the adjuster screws, I just need the temperature to come up a bit so can can get it done. I may hook up he space heater and warm up my garage this weekend if I'm feeling extra motivated because I don't think I can wait another month or more for warmer temps.
Funny, as my son in law has a 2012. Mine's a 2013. We installed the same TruckLites. His fit tight and mine rattled around like crazy. My bezels were absolutely lined up well so that the tabs sat down into the slots in the housings. All I can imagine is that Jeep used a headlamp with a thicker edge in the 2013, but there is no difference in part numbers. Weird.

Quick Reply: LED headlight upgrade options