Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

LED fog,flood, and spot lights

Old 12-21-2011, 11:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by C2U5H
Actually, ...............
Actually, I think that you should do a little more research on lighting an automotive beam patterns. I'm no expert in the automotive field. But when it comes to lighting, I have my fair share of experience.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flienlow
I have decided that LED's are the way of the Future. I will wait for the new truck-lites to come out in Jan.

I will use truck lite 7" to replace my stock headlights.
I will use Rigid dually d2's flood on the bumper.
I will use Ridid dually d2's Spot on the windshield.

Here are my thoughts:
1. as stated before LED is the way of the future.
2. LED has a very long life
3. LED's are bright- I wont need factory fog just to drive.
4. LED's are almost indestructable.
5. I dont get off on changing light bulbs (even on a jeep)
6. LED's draw no power, so If I am Winching up in the woods at night I dont have to worry.
7.Cibie,IPF ect can break.

and while I am sure the LED pattern is not a good as other, I am sure it will be good enough for me. Since I hhave little experience, I can only go by what I can glean from forums like this. If my logic is flawed, please enlighten me. Get it? enLIGHTen ---

My only suggestion would be to consider the regular Duallys. It would save you a good chunk of money and still give you more than enough light. But it really sounds like a great plan.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Actually, I think that you should do a little more research on lighting an automotive beam patterns. I'm no expert in the automotive field. But when it comes to lighting, I have my fair share of experience.
That's fine. There are many sources (which I posted links to) that provide points and counter-points on the use of fog lights. I'm not claiming I'm an expert, merely providing information that I've found. From what I've read and seen, taking into consideration that your eyes are contrast machines, they tend to focus on the brightest and nearest light source. Under 25 mph, using fog lights to light the foreground where less-than-optimal primary headlamps leave off forces your eyes to pay more attention to the foreground more, detracting from your vision (where you're actually focused) down the road. Just because there's more light in front of you doesn't mean your eyes are using it to the best of their ability, resulting in less than great overall performance.

Even when I was driving through white-out conditions at night on Rt. 82 in CO, my fog lamps were of no help. I could not see the edges of the road, which is all the fog lamps are supposed to do in inclement weather. I simply pulled over and put on my flashers ... waited for it to lighten up a little bit.

Last edited by C2U5H; 12-21-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:35 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Redman333
If you actually want better visibility in fog or snow, or dust than I would go with rigid's amber led lights. I don't know if they make them in the duallies size or not but they would be incredible in those situations otherwise just go with regular white duallies.
Go with white duallys. Then get amber covers. That's what I did. They are epic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-525185094.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	252700   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1548472676.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	252702   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3350441991.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	252703  
Old 12-22-2011, 03:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by C2U5H
That's fine. There are many sources (which I posted links to) that provide points and counter-points on the use of fog lights. I'm not claiming I'm an expert, merely providing information that I've found. From what I've read and seen, taking into consideration that your eyes are contrast machines, they tend to focus on the brightest and nearest light source. Under 25 mph, using fog lights to light the foreground where less-than-optimal primary headlamps leave off forces your eyes to pay more attention to the foreground more, detracting from your vision (where you're actually focused) down the road. Just because there's more light in front of you doesn't mean your eyes are using it to the best of their ability, resulting in less than great overall performance.

Even when I was driving through white-out conditions at night on Rt. 82 in CO, my fog lamps were of no help. I could not see the edges of the road, which is all the fog lamps are supposed to do in inclement weather. I simply pulled over and put on my flashers ... waited for it to lighten up a little bit.
( I know, my personal opinnion ). But I disagree with the notion that the foglighting is a distraction.I've seen that this theory also contradicts itself by saying that the fogs also fill in the dark hole directly in front of the vehicle. Giving some drivers ( encluding me ) more piece of mind. I do agree that different adverse conditions have different affects on different lighting. But, I totllay disagree that the headlights can be just as affective as foglights because: The foglights are positioned closer to the ground for a good reason. Fog ( like smoke ) is less dense in this area. Therefore light penitrates farther. You also said that DL's are no different than FL's. DL's use a beam pattern simular to a cross between your high beams ( width ) and long range ( length ). But they do not have a lot of higth. On the other hand, FL's have a beam pattern similar to a flashlight. They flood the entire area with light ( high and low, left and right ) but they do not have a very long range.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you have the right bulbs (towards yellow in color temp), fog lights can really help with seeing the road edges. While all my lights are LED, including the headlamps, I could not find an LED that didn't glare so I am running a yellow halide bulb. It also cuts through heavy snowfall without the glare you get with more white temp lights. I see so many people refer to any low mounted light as a fog, when really all they have is a supplemental driving light. Fog lamps are specific...I maybe use mine 3-4x per year.
I guess my point is, that if you have lights in a variety of mounting positions and with differing color temperatures, then you can adapt easier to any driving condition.

Last edited by ShakyJake; 12-22-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:13 PM
JfK
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sringer
Go with white duallys. Then get amber covers. That's what I did. They are epic
Are those regular duallys? Also, how did you mount those in the stock location? Can we get some day time, up close pics?
Old 12-22-2011, 09:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShakyJake
While all my lights are LED, including the headlamps, .......
SO what all are you running? (PICS?) Also, I think you bring up a good point. Let me replace the words "Fog Light" with "Running lights." With the stock JK setup, I/we NEED running lights to augment the piss poor lighting.If I were to go with LED headlights (ie Truck-lite) do you feel that will alieveiate the need for "Running lights?" Hence, I would soley use the Rigid lights as OFF-ROAD only lights (and of course to look cool at the mall.)
Old 12-23-2011, 04:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flienlow
SO what all are you running? (PICS?) Also, I think you bring up a good point. Let me replace the words "Fog Light" with "Running lights." With the stock JK setup, I/we NEED running lights to augment the piss poor lighting.If I were to go with LED headlights (ie Truck-lite) do you feel that will alieveiate the need for "Running lights?" Hence, I would soley use the Rigid lights as OFF-ROAD only lights (and of course to look cool at the mall.)
In front, I'm running JW Speaker LED headlights, stock bumper fogs with bright amber bulbs, Hella Black magic driving lights with HID modification, and four 6" VisionX Xmitter Prime LED light bars up high. The Headlights are obviously the most important since we use them daily... There are lots of upgrade choices besides expensive LEDs..people like the Cibie housings from Dan Stern a lot. The fogs are only for visibility in foggy and snowy conditions. The HID driving lights help fill where the headlights miss and are a good backup in case of failure or breakage of the mains (also provide light of another color temp). The light bars are strictly off-road. They are great in tall grass and mud since they are mounted high and don't get blocked as easy, but their main function is strictly to provide instant daylight: they illuminate everything (flood pattern)! In the rear, I have a Solstice Solo LED spliced into the reverse light for daily use as well as a pair of 4" Xmitters switched for backing up or camping. Underneath I have Tantrum rock lights for night wheeling. The only lighting I still want to add is a windscreen mounted aimable spot to track wildlife, but it wouldn't be used that often and is prohibited in some states.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer3.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	253416  

Last edited by ShakyJake; 12-23-2011 at 04:28 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have:
Truck Lite LED headlights
Rigid Dually Flood lights mounted to rear as back-up lights
Rigid Dually Spot lights on windshield
Rigid Dually D2's (replace fog lights with custom made brackets)
Rigid 20"LED Light bar mounted on top of my bumper
Rigid 50" LED Light Bar on Roof

Here is everything on except fog lights since my high beams were on

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2868.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	253417

Quick Reply: LED fog,flood, and spot lights