Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

LED fog,flood, and spot lights

Old 12-19-2011, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED fog,flood, and spot lights

Ok, I am really confused here so I might as well just spit out my question and hope for the best.

1.Why would I NOT want to replace my stock fog lights with Rigid Industies Dually LED lights? They dont really seem that much more expensive than say PIAA/ KC ect? And from what I can tell they are excellent?

2. What is the difference between a fog lights and a flood light?

My plan would be to have bumper(stock fog replacement) and windshield mounted lights. Is anyone running this configuration?

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I cannot seem to find a clear answer anywhere. I cant tell if folks are using LED's as fog lights or as a 3rd set of lights.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Fog light, flood light, or driving light is dependent on the beam/lens pattern. It changes how the light is dispersed. I believe the difference between the fog light and work light is just the build style. Ones made to look like a driving light, and work lamps are made in a wider range of styles for different applications. I'm sure someone else will jump in and clarify that a little further though. I'm still running my stock fog lights right now, and a set of spotlights at the windshield and its great like that.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:04 PM
JK Super Freak

If you actually want better visibility in fog or snow, or dust than I would go with rigid's amber led lights. I don't know if they make them in the duallies size or not but they would be incredible in those situations otherwise just go with regular white duallies.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1.Why would I NOT want to replace my stock fog lights with Rigid Industies Dually LED lights? They dont really seem that much more expensive than say PIAA/ KC ect? And from what I can tell they are excellent?
LED's have came a long way in their development. Today they are very high quality. The only issue that still keeps me away is the beam pattern. Induvidual LEDs give off a very narrow beam pattern. So manufacturers have to be a little creative to get a good pattern for a headlight. And since it takes multiple LEDs to create this pattern. You have the posibility of loosing one or two individual lamps.

2. What is the difference between a fog lights and a flood light?
Fogs have a broad and flat beam pattern.
Work lights are kinda like flashlights. Great big round beam patterns.

My plan would be to have bumper(stock fog replacement) and windshield mounted lights. Is anyone running this configuration?
Yep. Lots!
Old 12-20-2011, 03:00 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Redman333
If you actually want better visibility in fog or snow, or dust than I would go with rigid's amber led lights. I don't know if they make them in the duallies size or not but they would be incredible in those situations otherwise just go with regular white duallies.
They do make the dually in amber BUT if you want a more versatile option then choose the regular white light and put an amber lens cover on it. I bought both the amber and blue lens covers for my duallys. This way I could have three different lights basically.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by newbiejeeper

They do make the dually in amber BUT if you want a more versatile option then choose the regular white light and put an amber lens cover on it. I bought both the amber and blue lens covers for my duallys. This way I could have three different lights basically.
x2 this is what i was going to suggest as this ia what I plan on doing when i order my rigid leds
Old 12-20-2011, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kenct4
x2 this is what i was going to suggest as this ia what I plan on doing when i order my rigid leds
So.. I called Rigid industries today. These are NOT DOT approved for on road use (shocking I know.) That is how I would like to use them. It almost seems that LED's are too good. If I was merely looking for an off road light, it would be a no brainer, but since I want to use these to suppliment the poor headlights, I may need to look for something else. (either that are just wing it!)
Old 12-21-2011, 08:54 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Ford

LED's have came a long way in their development. Today they are very high quality. The only issue that still keeps me away is the beam pattern. Induvidual LEDs give off a very narrow beam pattern. So manufacturers have to be a little creative to get a good pattern for a headlight. And since it takes multiple LEDs to create this pattern. You have the posibility of loosing one or two individual lamps.

Fogs have a broad and flat beam pattern.
Work lights are kinda like flashlights. Great big round beam patterns.

Yep. Lots!
I replaced the fog lights bulbs with LED ones and I am very pleased.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have decided that LED's are the way of the Future. I will wait for the new truck-lites to come out in Jan.

I will use truck lite 7" to replace my stock headlights.
I will use Rigid dually d2's flood on the bumper.
I will use Ridid dually d2's Spot on the windshield.

Here are my thoughts:
1. as stated before LED is the way of the future.
2. LED has a very long life
3. LED's are bright- I wont need factory fog just to drive.
4. LED's are almost indestructable.
5. I dont get off on changing light bulbs (even on a jeep)
6. LED's draw no power, so If I am Winching up in the woods at night I dont have to worry.
7.Cibie,IPF ect can break.

and while I am sure the LED pattern is not a good as other, I am sure it will be good enough for me. Since I hhave little experience, I can only go by what I can glean from forums like this. If my logic is flawed, please enlighten me. Get it? enLIGHTen ---
Old 12-21-2011, 11:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Actually, most people deeply involved in primary and auxiliary lighting consider fog lights a vestigial piece of equipment that's somehow become a manufacturer selling point. In other words, with today's lighting technology, fog lights are pretty much useless. With quality headlamps and bulbs that are aimed correctly, fog lights become just another button to push. Sources here and here. Refer to post #3 in the second link — the author of that post works in the automotive lighting industry.

When I upgrade my headlamps to Cibié units with Osram 70/65W H4 +50 bulbs run through a relay harness, I won't need to supplement them with the OEM "fog" lights to fill in the foreground for speeds under 25-30 mph. Same was true when I used them on my TJ. That's why true fog lights are outdated nowadays: the primary lighting technology has advanced far enough that it already covers the pattern of a 70's or 80's style fog light (when they were actually necessary) — when they were really good. There are still modern fog lights that provide a great pattern, though few and far between, but their necessity is all but concrete. Most of the time if you're driving in conditions that would warrant the use of a fog light pattern, you just need to slow down or pull over and wait it out. There's no shame in that.

A spot pattern is a long, narrow beam with minimal if any spread to cover the edges of the road. This pattern is merely to extend long-range illumination at higher speeds so you don't outrun your light.

The flood is the opposite of spot, and is more commonly referred to as a "driving" pattern, which is a supplement to your high beams, and should only be used with your primary high beams. More spread than a spot, but less reach as well. I would say most aftermarket "offroad" lights fall into this catagory, with variances here and there. Do your research on the lights though: more light with a less than desirable pattern is not good. I would gladly take less light with a proven, concise pattern.

Last edited by C2U5H; 12-21-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Quick Reply: LED fog,flood, and spot lights