Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

led 3rd brake light problems

Old 02-20-2015, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default led 3rd brake light problems

Alright so I have a 2007 4 door jeep jk and relocated the 3rd brake light to where my tire used to sit and now have a problem with the led lights. It's been over a year since I had it on and no issues untill now. The brake light works when I hit the brakes(red leds) and then the led lights to light up my license plate(white leds) do not work. There is a faint green glow in one of the three led lights used to light up my license plate but no leds come on. Any info on this? It's been really dam cold here so I'm thinking that could be it or something wrong with the light it's self, but I wonder if anyone else has this problem.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know I had to run one additional wire to mine which I believe was for the license plate light, since the brake light wires were already there from the stock carrier. I would check the connections on that wire you installed.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

I just checked it they seem fine. There wrapped with a bunch of electrical tape but I do know I had to also do that with mine. Separate wires for it but also my back left brake/turn signal has been acting up. I looked up for the fuse location for turn signal and license plate and I checked the fuse and it was good. Could that m17 15 amp fuse be going back you think? I'm gona go pick some more of them up and see if that changes anything
Old 02-21-2015, 10:00 AM
JK Newbie

And if there was a faulty wiring issue. Why at night could I see a little. Green glow out of one led light. That means there still power going to it... Ahh im confused!
Old 02-21-2015, 10:10 AM
JK Junkie

It doesn't sound like a fuse to me if your tail lights are still working since that is what you are tapped off of. It's possible the feed wire is broken internally with only one or two strands still connected giving you the faint glow. You could test that by just running a jumper wire from the tail light to the led wire and see if that fixes it.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

Here's the catch I have it all apart. So the third brake like works but the leds to light up my plate don't. I had to extend the wire for it to reach across for my license plate lights and that wire I put it was all corroded. So now I replaced the wire with a brand new wire and. Still the same issue. Still not working but the third brake light does.do you think the lights are burnt out? Because clearly there's still power going to it but it's not ****ing lighting up! Ahh
Old 02-21-2015, 02:28 PM
JK Junkie

That's certainly a possibility. When you replaced the corroded wire, did you replace the entire wire from the tail light tap all the way to the pigtail from the light? And if so, did you move the point at which you had originally tapped the taillight wire and use a new connector? If the corrosion went all the way to the taillight wire then there may be some corrosion in that wire too. It doesn't take much water getting in to create a problem.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:23 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Is this license plate light an extra light that is supposed to come on with the third brake light?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what he means by "The brake light works when I hit the brakes(red leds) and then the led lights to light up my license plate(white leds) do not work."

Last edited by ronjenx; 02-21-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:37 PM
JK Junkie

There are leds facing down which come on with the lights for the tag. Then there are red LEDs facing back that come on with the brake lights.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:40 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
There are leds facing down which come on with the lights for the tag. Then there are red LEDs facing back that come on with the brake lights.
OK. It was sounding a little like the plate lights were expected to come on with the third brake lights.

Quick Reply: led 3rd brake light problems