Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Kicker Bolt-on Mopar Upgrade

Old 06-17-2011, 02:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed the 6.5 Mopar/Kickers in the dash. Took about 2 hours. Came with good directions. The only thing different on my '08 X is the OEMs are held in with Philips headed screws. Directions indicated torx. A nice upgrade over stock speakers.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default sub

Originally Posted by JaxLoki
I would also like to swap out the factory Sub, anyone have any input?

I replaced it w. Kicker CVR Sub....the Bolt patterns do not line up...but you can bolt on a 1/2 wood template with the existing screws, and then fasten the sub to the 1/2 wood...get a grill...Magnet is way bigger than stock...Sounds pretty good too...hope this helps...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	KickerJKGrill 003.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	172728   Click image for larger version

Name:	KickerJKGrill 002.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	172729  
Old 06-17-2011, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pazitive44
I replaced it w. Kicker CVR Sub....the Bolt patterns do not line up...but you can bolt on a 1/2 wood template with the existing screws, and then fasten the sub to the 1/2 wood...get a grill...Magnet is way bigger than stock...Sounds pretty good too...hope this helps...
was this worth the money? I don't mind the infinity system, but the bass needs just a little more oomph. I don't want to swap out stuff or add an amp-I'm too old for that stuff, but a simple subwoofer swap I'd be interested in if I knew it made a significant difference.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Not Huge Difference

Originally Posted by CRNA
was this worth the money? I don't mind the infinity system, but the bass needs just a little more oomph. I don't want to swap out stuff or add an amp-I'm too old for that stuff, but a simple subwoofer swap I'd be interested in if I knew it made a significant difference.
I have the Infinity system in my Sahara and have kept the factory head unit.

I initially swapped out my sub with a Kicker VrComp Sub (8") and didn't notice a large difference. I also swapped out all my speakers with actually Infinity Speakers. The speakers did make a difference in 'crispness' of sound.

If I were to do it all over again I would have added component systems to the front and rear, but I am happy with my current setup. (Check out my profile for pics)

I just lately added a Polk Audio Amp and that has made a huge difference in the sound. It is exactly what I want now. The highs and mids were always good, but now the bass has the power needed. I don't think you would notice a large difference in just the sub change. Add an amp and a line converter and you will be very happy.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CRNA
..The Sub set me Back $79 from Crutchfield...pretty good up grade ...but as Beau mentioned..Not a Huge Difference...
Old 06-19-2011, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Crutchfield

Originally Posted by pazitive44
..The Sub set me Back $79 from Crutchfield...pretty good up grade ...but as Beau mentioned..Not a Huge Difference...
I actually bought all my speakers and sub from Crutchfield ($230 ish). I bought the Amp from Best Buy ($150) and then the wiring and line converter from Meijer ($70). Took me about a day to run all the wires and get everything hooked up. Also had to make the MDF spacer for the sub enclosure and bought a big bag of polyfill
Old 06-12-2013, 04:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default photos

where are you guys tapping into the audio wires for the factory sub? Any photos?

I found a bundle of wires running long the passenger rear side, but couldn't find the end connector.

I assume there are 6 wires? 4 for the sub and 2 for the rear lighter hole.

I want to do the spacer ring, 8" real sub, and punch 300x1 amp, but am lost on getting the audio portion hooked up.

I've always had aftermarket headunits where I just ran RCAs from the headunit back.

thanks

Quick Reply: Kicker Bolt-on Mopar Upgrade