Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Key

Old 12-06-2014, 03:01 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstercanada
Dealer does not have to program key only cut it for you it tells you in the owners manual how to program a key it's easy
True but only if you have 2 good ones to run the program to make more.
You have to do the steps with the first one - then repeat with the second one then you can make new chipped keys or fobs 'till the cows come home. (Google it kids)
Old 12-06-2014, 03:13 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Jeepstercanada
Dealer does not have to program key only cut it for you it tells you in the owners manual how to program a key it's easy
Anyone can cut a blank key chipped or not for way less than a dealer will charge. Just stay away from the big box stores and use a real locksmith shop for quality. More expensive than big box OMG $5
You get what you pay for
Old 12-06-2014, 03:46 AM
Former Member

So he probably bought a repo Jeep at an auction? Sold it without proper keys because it was yanked by a tow truck out of someone's driveway.
Next question. when you checked it out on his lot did the alarm go off when the doors were opened.
If so what did he say.
If it did and you were ok with that you bought a problem with the cheapest Jeep you could find.
You will have to go to a real dealership and pay to have your computer done over. Haven't yet found a small garage that can get into that type of programming license.
Best you can do is buy a couple of good fobs on e-bay before you go to get the work done. might save 2 or 3 hundred bucks not buying theirs and it's the same manufacturer of the keys.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:50 AM
JK Newbie

Thanx a lot gargoyles, no it didn't happen when I checked it out, only when I got home and the next morning did I discover this...I didn't even think it had a security, when I was driving a 96 tj, it was just key, I forgot a lot can change in 12 years, anyways, I only have one good key...
Old 12-07-2014, 06:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetpack
Thanx a lot gargoyles, no it didn't happen when I checked it out, only when I got home and the next morning did I discover this...I didn't even think it had a security, when I was driving a 96 tj, it was just key, I forgot a lot can change in 12 years, anyways, I only have one good key...
If you buy the keyfob/s yourself, its only 40-60 bucks for the dealer to reprogram it. When I got my first JK all I had was the valet key. Bought the key with buttons on it from ebay and had the dealer program it.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

I'm pretty sure I got the spare/valet key too, Vladimir
Now on eBay, I search for 08 jeep wrangler key fob...right? Then I need the dealer to program it? I can't program it with just the one key I have and the ignition like my buds ford escape?
Old 12-07-2014, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've bought key blanks from ikeywireless dirt cheap and had Home Depot cut them for free. Programmed myself. Since you only have 1 key you'll need dealership to program the first one.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:25 PM
JK Newbie

I'm seeing $27 for one, and $45 for 2, USARemote and discount keyless r the brands I'm seeing...any insight?

Quick Reply: Key