Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Key

Old 12-04-2014, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key

So I bought my jeep from a dealer and got the spare key, he won't give me the key fob
Is there any way I can disable the alarm? Every time I lock the doors, I'll use the key to open it and the alarm sounds, I don't really need to shell out the $200 it takes to acquire the keyfob....a friend suggested I ask the forums so anybody got some info for me?
Old 12-05-2014, 06:02 AM
Former Member

OK let's try to help you out here but need to ask a few questions.
-Are we talking new or pre-owned Jeep?
-Was the 'DEALER' an actual Dodge/Chrysler location or private used car lot or someone that met you at a mall or somewhere convenient. Which of the 3?

If used vehicle is it a factory alarm system or an aftermarket one?

Answer these questions and we can move on from there. In Ontario there are some ways to legally correct your problem

If the guy was a 'Curbsider' he may still have a key that will start your machine without the alarm to go off and you'll never see it again. But on the lighter side it may be an easy fix.

Last edited by 101gargoyles; 12-05-2014 at 06:07 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:22 AM
Former Vendor

If it's a factory system we should be able to get you a new fob at a much better price, just need the details of the vehicle.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:17 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by TASCAPARTS
If it's a factory system we should be able to get you a new fob at a much better price, just need the details of the vehicle.
I'm a private JK owner with NO Interest other than helping this guy get the keys he should have.
I'm worried that too many people buy a vehicle that ends up getting stolen 'cause the guy that sells it has the buyer's address and a good key.
Tired of paying way TOO much insurance because of scams around this area.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get a chipped key on ebay for about 30-40 bucks. Dealer can program it for 40 bucks. Thats what I did with mine since the dealer apparently didn't have the chipped key anymore when I got it, guy who traded it in lost it (apparently).

If what you wrote is correct though... he is "refusing" to give you the key after paying for it? If even after asking he doesn't give it to you, I'd either call the BBB and see what they can do or call the cops I guess. Or get a few Jeep buds to shake him down /kidding
Old 12-05-2014, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dealer does not have to program key only cut it for you it tells you in the owners manual how to program a key it's easy
Old 12-05-2014, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

Default Randall's auto

Place is called Randall's in cookstown, used, and it's factory system, I would much love to have the keyfob, but moneywise, I wouldn't mind just turning off the alarm so my thing wouldn't go off when I I open the door

And thanx guys, I appreciate it greatly
Old 12-05-2014, 08:25 AM
JK Newbie

Also, I have a friend that programmed his key by turning the ignition 7x on his ford escape

Jeep have that kinda thing
Old 12-05-2014, 09:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure if that was a question but yes. As long as you have 2 chipped keys.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Key Programming.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	586881
Old 12-05-2014, 08:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Vladimer
You can get a chipped key on ebay for about 30-40 bucks. Dealer can program it for 40 bucks. Thats what I did with mine since the dealer apparently didn't have the chipped key anymore when I got it, guy who traded it in lost it (apparently).

If what you wrote is correct though... he is "refusing" to give you the key after paying for it? If even after asking he doesn't give it to you, I'd either call the BBB and see what they can do or call the cops I guess. Or get a few Jeep buds to shake him down /kidding
I'm pretty sure it was traded in and the previous owner lost it...Randall said that's the key it came with

Quick Reply: Key