Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Kenwood DDX7039 installed in a JK 2DR

Old 08-26-2007, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked it up from the guys who sell car steros, most of them have it or you can just order it from the link i posted
Old 08-28-2007, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

That was weird, I installed the Kenwood DNX7100 a couple weeks after I got my jeep. I have the works on it, the only thing I thought I didn't need was the rear camera. GPS is great for trying to get lost in the mountains, I put the antenna right on the unit (right under the top plastic piece above the radio). I have an ipod and USB hookup in the glovebox. The Kenwood unit itself is awesome, great compatibility and I am glad I got it instead of mygig, Garmin makes a better nav system (included in this unit). Bluetooth hands free and mic has been my favorite surprising feature. I can post pics if you want, it looks just like yours but the space imediately near the unit is grey to match the outer trim.

Last edited by Octane; 08-28-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Very nice. How concerned are you about having it yanked out of the dash? That's probably my biggest concern if I spend the money for a new HU. Also, did you upgrade the speakers or keep the stock ones? I can't imagine you didn't upgrade, so if you did I'd definitely like to know what you went with there as well.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:39 AM
JK Freak

Nice unit. Can you listen to a CD while navigating?
Old 08-29-2007, 05:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Octane
That was weird, I installed the Kenwood DNX7100 a couple weeks after I got my jeep. I have the works on it, the only thing I thought I didn't need was the rear camera. GPS is great for trying to get lost in the mountains, I put the antenna right on the unit (right under the top plastic piece above the radio). I have an ipod and USB hookup in the glovebox. The Kenwood unit itself is awesome, great compatibility and I am glad I got it instead of mygig, Garmin makes a better nav system (included in this unit). Bluetooth hands free and mic has been my favorite surprising feature. I can post pics if you want, it looks just like yours but the space imediately near the unit is grey to match the outer trim.
Hey Octane, I just got mine installed and I'm learning the ropes. You said you have the USB AND Ipod in the glove box. My installer only put the iPod cable in the glovebox and said it was one or the other. Why then would it show both the iPod and the usb icon in the menu if you can only have one at a time. Are you able to use both???
Old 08-29-2007, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

Camera is good for the blind spots when on the trails also good when you back up into a tight squeeze. I havent tried using the usb the same time with the I-pod i will try and update. Also you can listen to the CD with the Navi on.

I am making a custom cover that will cover the unit so when i am on the trails to keep the unit away from the dirt, it can also help for anyone who wants to keep the thiefs away

Once its done i will post the pics up.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SuTech
Hey Octane, I just got mine installed and I'm learning the ropes. You said you have the USB AND Ipod in the glove box. My installer only put the iPod cable in the glovebox and said it was one or the other. Why then would it show both the iPod and the usb icon in the menu if you can only have one at a time. Are you able to use both???
Ah yes, this is how I got around that: I have the USB cable's end in the glove box, I have to unhook the USB for iPod. It is a weird way Kenwood did it. You can actually watch video from the iPod, so I think that is why they have it seperate, the screens are a bit different. I would trace your USB cord and pull it into your glovebox like mine, now you will have the choice. I currently have a 4g stick in my glovebox, will put a n 8 in there soon. drawback is the boot time of a large USB stick...
Old 08-29-2007, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by edubreuil
Nice unit. Can you listen to a CD while navigating?
Heck yes, I go on trails with the seats full, so on the highway on the way there they are watching a movie while using navigation to find our starting spot. GPS can be used with all other things at the same time. There is 3 screens you can have for GPS or DVD, full GPS screen, full GPS screen with music/movie controls, or full music/movie screen.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1
Very nice. How concerned are you about having it yanked out of the dash? That's probably my biggest concern if I spend the money for a new HU. Also, did you upgrade the speakers or keep the stock ones? I can't imagine you didn't upgrade, so if you did I'd definitely like to know what you went with there as well.
I was concerned at first. I talked with a shop, and they supported my thoughts. It really is not easy to get out a unit from our dash. Our If they are going to steal it, they will need more than 1 tool and more than 15 minutes. I kept stock speakers in, but when hard top is on I have a 12" sub with amp under the rear seat. I have them installed so that I can yank out the box and leave everything else unseen and permanent. I might get a Bestop deck cover for when I have the top off in the future to conceal, for now I just yank it out...
Old 08-29-2007, 12:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Octane
I was concerned at first. I talked with a shop, and they supported my thoughts. It really is not easy to get out a unit from our dash. Our If they are going to steal it, they will need more than 1 tool and more than 15 minutes. I kept stock speakers in, but when hard top is on I have a 12" sub with amp under the rear seat. I have them installed so that I can yank out the box and leave everything else unseen and permanent. I might get a Bestop deck cover for when I have the top off in the future to conceal, for now I just yank it out...
Very cool, thanks for the info. It definitely would suck to spend the money on a nice HU and get it yanked out.

Edit: Sweet I'm now a senior member. Can I use my senior status at the movies to get the Senior discount? lol

Quick Reply: Kenwood DDX7039 installed in a JK 2DR