Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Keeping it safe with a lease...

Old 07-30-2012, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping it safe with a lease...

Ok, so I am in the planning stage of upgrading my stereo system... but I need some help in case anyone knows some of my questions. Ive done some searches and havent found specifically what I am after.

The Jeep is a lease, and while I am doing mods to it I am trying my hardest to make it capable of an easy(ish) transition back to stock with the least amount of affect on both the stock and aftermarket system.

My Current Setup:
Stock
430N w/sub

My Future Plan:
Remove the factory sub and enclosure.
Build a fiberglass enclosure along the passenger side rear that is big enough to house a marine amp (was looking at a pyle PLMRA620 ). The amp would be mounted on the inside of this long box. The enclosure box would be as long as the entire rear of the jeep and probably stick out 6 inches or so with a bulge around the stock sub location where the sub would be mounted. The amp section would be closed off from the subwoofer section on the inside of the box, which allows me to put louvers on the side for ventaliation (pointing down so that water wont get in). The sub would be a JL 10W3v3-2.

I would run later upgrade the speakers in the dash/roll bar but for now, they would stay stock and just get more juice from the new amp. The speakers would have the stock connectors removed (just unclipped) and stuffed to the side. I would run new wire to the speakers from the new amp (keeping the wires alongside the stock wires).

So... that is the back half of my system... and the front half is where I am running into questions.

Since I am keeping the stock 430N and the stock amp (only in place, not in use), I was thinking of splitting off the wires that ran from the stock HU to the stock amp, and then feeding them either in to a sound processor or just straight to the new amp. I could run them to the new amp if they were low level signals, but I think I need either a cleansweep or something if they are already juiced up line outs, just to clean up the sound and turn them into RCA for the amp. I REALLY do not want to have the bass control knob and would rather just keep the factory audio controls in the 430N for any adjustments.

So my questions:

Are the output lines from the HU low level? Or are they juiced up?
Are the lines out from the HU split into the multi-channels (5) or is that controlled by the stock amp?
Does the stock amp handle the crossover for the front or is that built in to the speaker?

THanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Keeping it safe with a lease...