Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

KC windsheild lights

Old 03-31-2012, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowles77
Have the same issue as in your pic, I had to take them off to get my windshield replaced so when put them back on I cleaned them and plasti dipped them, I guess I need to contact KC also..
Yea ... I would ! They will replace ! 23yr warranty ! And obviously I plan to abuse it if this happens every 3 months ! Lol ill probably have these blasted & powder coated with a few other things ! Replace hardware with stainless .. But still can't understand claiming a 23yr warranty for something that looks like that in 3 months ..... But least they back it ! & I'm grateful !
Old 03-31-2012, 08:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

KC has excilent customer service. But I personally wouldn't worry them over something a $2 can of paint could repair. You may have scrapped the paint with your tools during installation. Who knows. It isn't a big deal.
I used double sided foam tape between the surfaces of my mount. It added a little cushion, gave me the protection I wanted, and heald the bracket in place for hands free installation.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine's metal on metal. No issues so far. Lucky I guess. Glad to hear KC is making you right.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
KC has excilent customer service. But I personally wouldn't worry them over something a $2 can of paint could repair. You may have scrapped the paint with your tools during installation. Who knows. It isn't a big deal.
I used double sided foam tape between the surfaces of my mount. It added a little cushion, gave me the protection I wanted, and heald the bracket in place for hands free installation.
I agree completely ! , was just seeing if I was alone ... With the issue , I'm just going to sand down n paint , no big deal was just shocked so soon .... Not a bad idea with the double sided foam tape !
Old 03-31-2012, 08:04 PM
JK Newbie

I think you're talking about something to use as a pad between the bracket and the painted part of the body?

I went to a bike shop and got a large fat inner tube for a mountain bike. Cost like 6 bucks. I cut out 2 sections that would be as wide as the bracket, and then sliced each section lengthwise so that it would open up. Laid each one flat, used the bracket as a pattern, and cut it out with scissors (holes too, they came out square but no matter). Works like a charm--very thin like they aren't even there, but saves the paint.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Greg09JK--FNG
I think you're talking about something to use as a pad between the bracket and the painted part of the body?

I went to a bike shop and got a large fat inner tube for a mountain bike. Cost like 6 bucks. I cut out 2 sections that would be as wide as the bracket, and then sliced each section lengthwise so that it would open up. Laid each one flat, used the bracket as a pattern, and cut it out with scissors (holes too, they came out square but no matter). Works like a charm--very thin like they aren't even there, but saves the paint.
Yea , that's a good idea !!!! I'm afraid the foam or tape is going to hold moisture in between ... I want something to prevent it from even getting in ..... That may just be the ticket !
Old 04-01-2012, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JackDANJK22
Deff another option ! Thanks ! I used clear synthetic grease just for a while until a better permanent solution ! I love the options & thanks in advance for anyone's ideas & those who have suggested !

I can't believe I'm the only rusty bracket , guess good thing I got with KC for replacement of my faultys !
You are not alone LOL
I took mine off and painted them twice with Rustoleum - no more issues!
Old 04-01-2012, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eumel789

You are not alone LOL
I took mine off and painted them twice with Rustoleum - no more issues!
Awesome ! Good to hear !!! I'm probably going to sand & rattle these ones ! & throw the new ones KC is sending me in with my quad parts to be powdercoated ! Then if this happens again I'll just switch em !
Old 04-02-2012, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have KC lights but used Rugged Ridge mounts which came with little foam "gaskets".
I like the solutions others have come up with for putting something between the body and the mounts.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JackDANJK22
Yea , that's a good idea !!!! I'm afraid the foam or tape is going to hold moisture in between ... I want something to prevent it from even getting in ..... That may just be the ticket !
The tape side of the foam seals out moisture. The foam is compressed so that no moisture can accumulate.

Quick Reply: KC windsheild lights