Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

KC vs hella

Old 05-12-2013, 04:23 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by knight1000
You can usually find the Hella fogs at local auto parts stores. $70-80. Or any of our vendors can prolly get them to you for that.
Yea pep boys has the hella 500 for 50 bucks on the shelf.... Had em on an FJ years ago and had no issues but since I've bought plenty of kcs and loved them too.... To each their own.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

My Hellas have over 250,000 miles on them now. 2 years with 130w halogen, and 3 years with 55w hid in them. Hid was an amazing upgrade over the halogen bulbs. Much brighter than the 130w bulbs. Over 1200m lighting now.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack

How did you break ALL your hella lights?...

Must have got hit head on by another car. My Hellas are 5 years old, have been on 3 different vehicles and are still in perfect condition. My one set of kc daylighters rusted in one year.

Piaas are way overpriced for what they are. I had a set of 540s in ion yellow, they put out good light, but one of the grills broke, and the coating flaked off them.
Branches and vines on the trail eventually broke the housings. Rocks popped holes in the lenses and eventually cracked the lenses.

The metal housings hold the adjustments better and as long as you wash the road grime off every now and then the rust shouldnt happen. I've had mine 2yrs now without any issues. My Hella's would last about a year before I was replacing a lense or housing.

Dont get me wrong. For the money Hella's are amazing. But for me the KC's are a better value since im not messing with them all the time.

I agree PIAA's are way overpriced for what you get compared to Hella, KC, Rough Country or Warn lights. But their bulbs are by far the brightest and longest lasting of all the ones ive tried.

So for me the best value and performance is KC lights with PIAA bulbs. Second choice is def the Hella's with PIAA bulbs.

Sent from my NOTE II on Sprint using JK-Forum
Old 05-12-2013, 06:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed noones mentioned procomp. Does there's suck
Old 05-12-2013, 06:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had hella 500 BM and they were so dim, you couldn't see them over my headlights. I swapped mine for some KCs and couldn't be happier. Don't expect much light from bulbs with less than 100W.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:25 AM
JK Freak

I swapped my 55 watt bulbs for 100 watt bulbs the week I bought my Hella 500s (back in 1994 on my first Jeep). The 55s were fine, though the 100s were a tad brighter. Like many other light threads on here, we dont compare apples to apples. The more you pay the more you get. Not always more light, but other features like durability, easier adjustments, better pattern and so on. If you just want a good inexpensive fog light that will last the next 5 years during night off-roading (just remember they dont light up the world like a 50" light bar) and survive winter conditions on the streets, then the 55 watt Hella is a good light. If you want a light you can beat with a bat, then get Light Force. They are of course cost much much more $$ though. If you want low draw then buy LED. If you want LED that you can hit with a bat, then buy Rigid, again more money. If you want to light up the deer along the road a mile and half away then add HID to any of the standard halogen lights. As always, start with your needs, then look at your budget and then look at what do you REALLY want. Usually the third part is answered by your ego.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:30 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by knight1000
I swapped my 55 watt bulbs for 100 watt bulbs the week I bought my Hella 500s (back in 1994 on my first Jeep). The 55s were fine, though the 100s were a tad brighter. Like many other light threads on here, we dont compare apples to apples. The more you pay the more you get. Not always more light, but other features like durability, easier adjustments, better pattern and so on. If you just want a good inexpensive fog light that will last the next 5 years during night off-roading (just remember they dont light up the world like a 50" light bar) and survive winter conditions on the streets, then the 55 watt Hella is a good light. If you want a light you can beat with a bat, then get Light Force. They are of course cost much much more $$ though. If you want low draw then buy LED. If you want LED that you can hit with a bat, then buy Rigid, again more money. If you want to light up the deer along the road a mile and half away then add HID to any of the standard halogen lights. As always, start with your needs, then look at your budget and then look at what do you REALLY want. Usually the third part is answered by your ego.
I'm ordering a bunch of light bars to resell, I'm going to get the 50" combo and compare them to my 55w hid. As well there is a led round light that says it can light up 1000m down the road, I'm testing a set of those against my hella lights as well. I will report back.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kojack

I'm ordering a bunch of light bars to resell, I'm going to get the 50" combo and compare them to my 55w hid. As well there is a led round light that says it can light up 1000m down the road, I'm testing a set of those against my hella lights as well. I will report back.
Are you going to be selling light bars? If so details please
Old 05-12-2013, 08:25 PM
JK Newbie

Im running just basic ones from harbor freight, and they work great for my light bar. i looked into getting both kc's and/or hella but took the leap and went with piaa and man was i not dissapointed. just depends on your budget and how well your familiar with wiring. i will admit the piaa wiring harness was a bit of a pain but once i figured it out it was fine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4276536601.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	457263  
Old 05-13-2013, 12:45 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Flexer07

Are you going to be selling light bars? If so details please
Hi flexer

I will be selling them. I am in the preliminary stages of getting some information done up. I'm hitting Florida for two weeks vacation. After that I will get more details on product and pricing. I will have to sign up as vendor here too.

Quick Reply: KC vs hella