Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

KC Slims vs. Daylighters

Old 11-20-2009, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KC Slims vs. Daylighters

OK, this might be a stupid question, but here goes, whats the difference between Slims and Daylighters...other than the obvious size. Is one better than the other? Brighter?

Ive got the Slims on my windshield and am looking to put either the slims or the DL's on the bumper. I read that the DL's are 200,000 Candle power. What would the 130 watt slims be?
Old 11-21-2009, 04:57 AM
JK Super Freak

My 150W Daylighters are evil bright at 385,000 cp, but they eat bulbs and genuine replacements are no longer readily available. The 150W versions are different, in that they are a sealed beam, rather than reflector + H3 bulb.
At my first burnout, I wanted to explore options with better life. I ended up going back to genuine KC bulbs. (from ebay) Nothing comes close for a "pencil thin" beam that reaches WAAAYYYYY out.
I just had a second burn out, but I bought a spare when I got the first one.

KC's site shows the Slims and Daylighters both rated at 285,000 cp for 130W.
100W long range Daylighters are 200,000 cp.

Last edited by sixt7gt350; 11-23-2009 at 05:22 PM. Reason: CRAP! I let a typo get quoted!!! CRAP! CRAP! CRAP!
Old 11-23-2009, 03:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sixt7gt350
My 150W Daylighters are evil bright at 385,000 cp, but they eat bulbs and genuine replacements are no longer readily available. The 150W versions are different, in that they are a sealed beam, rather than reflector + H3 bulb.
At my first burnout, I wanted to explore options with better life. I ended up going back to geniune KC bulbs. (from ebay) Nothing comes close for a "pencil thin" beam that reaches WAAAYYYYY out.
I just had a second burn out, but I bought a spare when I got the first one.

KC's site shows the Slims and Daylighters both rated at 285,000 cp for 130W.
100W long range Daylighters are 200,000 cp.
Thanks! Ill prolly go with two more slims.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have got the KC slims in both the longrange 150W and the fogs 100W. I just had a fog bulb go out, so I called KC and they said that the avg life on the 150W is about 120hrs and that the fogs are rated for longer. However I used my fogs for at least one leg of my daily commute (its either dark on the way in or dark on the way out). I have had mine about a year. They (KC) are sending me a set of bulds for FREE. KC has a great customer service department.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:41 AM
JK Freak

The Day lighter bulbs are still available at NAPA , Car Quest, ect. They will be a special order, ask for a Wagner 4049 bulb, 150 W sealed beam. It is an extremely bright pencil beam with an equally short life span, aprox 25 hours. However it is also very afordable, about 17.00$ last time I got one a year ago.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D_Acord
I have got the KC slims in both the longrange 150W and the fogs 100W. I just had a fog bulb go out, so I called KC and they said that the avg life on the 150W is about 120hrs and that the fogs are rated for longer. However I used my fogs for at least one leg of my daily commute (its either dark on the way in or dark on the way out). I have had mine about a year. They (KC) are sending me a set of bulds for FREE. KC has a great customer service department.
I see, does the 23 year warranty cover the bulbs if they blow out? how bright are your fogs? do you have to turn them off when a car comes? I know my long ranges would blind somebody if i forgot to turn em off.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I dont turn my off when passing other cars. Although mine are pointed down pretty good. Around here there are not than many cars on the road, more trucks and suvs. I don't know about the warrenty, but he was real quick to offer replacment bulbs, so maybe so . But I love mine, here are a couple of pictures of mine they may not help. IMO the fogs are brighter than stock headlights by a crap load.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 8000ft
The Day lighter bulbs are still available at NAPA , Car Quest, ect. They will be a special order, ask for a Wagner 4049 bulb, 150 W sealed beam. It is an extremely bright pencil beam with an equally short life span, aprox 25 hours. However it is also very afordable, about 17.00$ last time I got one a year ago.
Close, but not quite.
The 4049s aren't as tight or as bright.

Originally Posted by D_Acord
If the 150W bulbs lasted 50 hours, I'd pay twice as much as I did for my replacements. Methinks KC mis-stated that 120 hour figure by a decimal point.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:02 AM
JK Freak

I actually called KC directly and asked them what bulb they used in the Daylighters about two years ago and the rep told me that it was a "Wagner 4049", maybe there was an alternate bulb also.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rarely use mine, but here is what I got. KC daylighter flood lights on windshield and long range daylighters on the bumper. It works out killer when you wanna use. They are 100 watts a piece.

Quick Reply: KC Slims vs. Daylighters